Plumbing question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Van

Reaction score
A friend of mine is building a house and he posted some pictures of his progress. One of the pictures caught my attention. It’s a picture of a stub out for a sink and it’s drain.

My question was, “How are you going to vent that?” His response was, “The vent is on the other side.”

E4CB74B3-5AB9-46DB-99E2-91E54B2611BE.jpeg

Does anyone else see a problem here? He clarified his response with this earlier photo from before the wall was built.

D0BB2E98-B6C9-4A36-BAB4-583F901EDF92.jpeg
He said the vent is on the far left. One of the other pipes is the sink drain in the top photo.

He claims the one vent is all he needs. I disagree. What do you guys think?

it is not vented , ask him for an elevation drawing of the drainage

No way to tell without further info. Who placed the sill plate within the 2" PVC pipes? To me, they look like the beginning of the vent system, which would need to be tied together and run out to the roof.

Code says, the vent opening must be above the trap weir.

575586E4-13EE-48D8-A0EA-42450C08779E.jpeg

In the first picture… this one

1671673978319.jpeg

You see the trap adaptor has been glued on. If the drain goes straight down after the trap, there is no way the vent opening will be above the trap weir. At best, the vent opening is somewhere below the slab. Not acceptable.

The next photo is not acceptable.

62EC7791-C509-4D53-BCC8-92B3BE9409B4.png

A proper vent will prevent the formation of a siphon. If the vent opening is below the trap weir, a siphon is created.

CDF975DF-AF1F-4EEF-A0B9-F67380C0927A.png

An inspector says, “The trap weir must see the vent opening.”

0BC7BBDD-6C61-48EA-9937-78E14ABFA2A7.png
My friends drain fails this rule.

Attachments

• 1671674490911.jpeg
    1671674490911.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
New question… my BIL hired a General Contractor to do some remodeling in his, new to him, house. One of the contractors plumbed the two bath vanities like this.

IMG_8735.jpeg
My opinion is that a professional would not use this flex pipe but I’m not a professional so I can’t say for sure. What do you guys think?

IMG_8733.jpeg

The other problem is that, before the vanity was installed, I put my finger in the trap adaptor and on one side of the vanity (it has two sinks) the drain went horizontal, which could be okay, but the other side had an elbow that went straight down, which, as discussed above, is never acceptable.

What do you guys think?

The term, "JACK-LEG-LABORER", comes to mind, however, why did he accept it?

The term, "JACK-LEG-LABORER", comes to mind, however, why did he accept it?
Okay…Mr Google says this;

jackleg • \JACK-leg\ • adjective.
1 a : characterized by unscrupulousness, dishonesty, or lack of professional standards b : lacking skill or training : amateur
2 : designed as a temporary expedient : makeshift. Examples: Bill's only a jackleg carpenter, but he is sufficiently competent to handle less complex jobs. "

So, can I assume you think this is screwed up? And he shouldn’t accept it? I mean, I’m just a DIYer and I’d be embarrassed by this work.

Taking the easy way out, instead of using the correct fittings showed the affect of piece work, as opposed to the professionalism, of a tradesman.

Thanks for teaching us a new word: jackleg. What a great word and one we can use in public. It is fitting for so much of what we see when our neighbors hire local handymen and then ask us to help on a weekend with faulty plumbing or electric.

Ron, our sister site named:
www.plumbingforums.com
has numerous professional plumbers on board,
so if you show this picture to them, they will identify every part needed to make this correct.

New question… my BIL hired a General Contractor to do some remodeling in his, new to him, house. One of the contractors plumbed the two bath vanities like this.

View attachment 31617
My opinion is that a professional would not use this flex pipe but I’m not a professional so I can’t say for sure. What do you guys think?

View attachment 31618

The other problem is that, before the vanity was installed, I put my finger in the trap adaptor and on one side of the vanity (it has two sinks) the drain went horizontal, which could be okay, but the other side had an elbow that went straight down, which, as discussed above, is never acceptable.

What do you guys think?

I agree with the other replies; this is the worst example of a simple plumbing job I have ever seen! It is simple to cut standard PVC pipe to form correct connections with standard fittings - without the 'slinky flex hose' that doesn't drain well and traps debris. The 'plumber' sub was either (1) Not a real licensed plumber, or (2) Had way to many of something that day, or (3) Was so lazy he didn't want to spend a few minutes to do it the right way. Plus he/she did not care how the job looked when it was done!

i am a retired inspector, i would not accept this work also i would go after this so called plumber for doing work without a plumbing license. the work is very poorly done

Latest posts

Back