Popcorn ceiling in early 90s

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonymousbrowser_21

Reaction score
After moving into a new home, my mother planned to change the lighting fixtures around the house. One slight worry. Is there asbestos in the popcorn ceiling? We know we’re going to disturb it. Here’s what I know about the house : Built somewhere during 1991-1994, located in Mississauga, and built by the Daniels Corporation. I’m finding conflicting info on this, as some say it ran out in the mid-80s, while some say it was used up until 2000. We want to know the likelihood of asbestos, and if we should go along with the plan.

Welcome.
Here are numerous articles about the subject; Asbestos

As you'll find, it's been banned since the 1970's.

Basically, asbestos isn't available to be absorbed until it becomes friable, which is the conditions for absorption when created, IE, it becomes friable, ergo, particulates become airborne.

While you may create some minor amounts of particulate dust in changing and installing the new light fixtures, simply adorning yourself with the ever popular "face mask" will mitigate the inhalation of the slight amount of dust you'll create.

Welcome.
Here are numerous articles about the subject; Asbestos

As you'll find, it's been banned since the 1970's.

Basically, asbestos isn't available to be absorbed until it becomes friable, which is the conditions for absorption when created, IE, it becomes friable, ergo, particulates become airborne.

While you may create some minor amounts of particulate dust in changing and installing the new light fixtures, simply adorning yourself with the ever popular "face mask" will mitigate the inhalation of the slight amount of dust you'll create.
What is the chance my ceiling has it? I’ve seen “unlikely” everywhere, but that’s pretty ambiguous.

Back