Preserving Tools

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nowell

Reaction score
I go through long periods of times where I don't use some of my tools. They start get rusty and gross quickly out in the garage. I was wondering if storing the tools in a bath of WD40 or oil would keep them from getting nasty for later use. Or would some kind of air tight container do the trick?

I get tired of cleaning my tools.

Depending on what the tool is, either a light coat of oil rubbed smooth with a rag or a few layers of automotive clearcoat will stop the rusting.

--Bushytails

What is automotive clearcoat? Can it be purchased at AutoZone or another local auto parts store?

It's just clear paint... for the size you want, it'll be a rattlecan.

--Bushytails

A light coat of oil (not wd-40) and buy a couple damp-rid closet hangers and put them in the toolbox. It will help absorb some moisture... also they sell toolbox liners at lowes and homedepot that prevent rust

I use a set of craftsman tool box liners that I picked up when I bought my tool chests. I also do the damp-rid trick in any of my boxes that are near the floor level.

Air tools, I oil them after every use.

Hand tools, Most of the time I just clean em up after use but every few months I hit them with some oil, same oil I use in the air tools. 3 in 1.

Latest posts

Back