Preventing rodent entry to crawl space

Discussion in 'Pest Control' started by Eisenfaust8, May 15, 2017.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. May 15, 2017 #1

Eisenfaust8

Eisenfaust8

Eisenfaust8

Anyone have any ideas on a better solution to fill these brick vents? I currently have some plastic mesh stuffed in there, but I was just under the house rebaiting and there were a lot of bodies in one area down there, which was on the other side of these vents. The rest of the vents on the house were easier to seal up. I'm suspecting that they are making it past the mesh.

Ideally I'm looking for a solution that still allows some airflow...if there isn't one, I will have to just stuff steel wool on all of them.

On a side note, the moles have made several forays under the foundation :mad::mad::mad: and I've heard that rats (and mice) can use these tunnels to get under the house. Is there anything that can be done for that? The moles like to tunnel right along the block skirting and apparently have gotten down low enough to circumvent the foundation.

20170514_161211.jpg

2. May 15, 2017 #2

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Attach some heavy mesh on the inside and sprinkle some mothballs in the crawl space. I've had success using moth balls keeping squirrels out.

3. May 15, 2017 #3

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

I would not seal up the vents. they have a purpose. But you could use a metal screen to protect from critters. Plastic isn't good enough as rodents can gnaw through it. I would use aluminum window screen. And seal the edges completely, as mice can squeeze through the smallest holes.

4. May 15, 2017 #4

Blue Jay

Blue Jay

Blue Jay

I would use hardware cloth, it has 1/4" square holes keeps the critters out but allows air movement.

5. May 15, 2017 #5

nealtw

nealtw

nealtw

Contractor retired

Pack some ready mix concrete mix into the holes under the foundation and add a little water.

Moles dig in top soil, this might say something about the dirt the foundation was place on, so replacing it would be a good idea. Even if it is one tunnel at a time.

6. May 15, 2017 #6

jeffmattero76

jeffmattero76

jeffmattero76

Done correctly, hardware cloth will keep out the rodents. However, I would prefer to use aluminum window screen fabric to keep out both rodents and insects.

7. May 15, 2017 #7

joecaption

joecaption

joecaption

8. May 16, 2017 #8

Eisenfaust8

Eisenfaust8

Eisenfaust8

Thanks everyone, I'll start with the hardware cloth and work to more complex as needed.

nealtw likes this.