Programing a Craftsman garage door opener with a Chamberlain remote

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shobuddy

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
The two brands are generally compatible, but I think you have 2 different generations of frequencies there. The newer Chamberlain opener probably has a yellow learn button and antenna wire. That uses Security+ 2.0 technology. The Sears opener has a purple button and antenna, using Security+ technology. Those generally will not work with one another.

You can try this: take off the clip from the remote control and see if there is a small translucent button underneath where the clip was on the back of the remote. If so, press and release the learn button on the Sears opener and press that hidden remote button. Then, press the button on the front of the remote that you want to operate the door. The remote will send out a Security+ 2.0 signal on the 1st press. On the 2nd press, it will send out a Security+ signal. Your motor head unit lights should blink on and off at that point, meaning it accepted that code. Press any other button on the face of the remote to complete the tuning process. The remote should now work on that opener.

If not, a Liftmaster 893MAX remote will have 3 buttons and will work with both. Chamberlain might have a similar remote, but the Liftmaster would definitely do it.

Thanks for the response, doorsdoneright. You are right about the purple button on the Sears opener. Unfortunately I don't see a button under the clip on the Chamberlain remote. I was thinking the issue might have been incompatibility due to old/new technologies. Good to get confirmation of this from you.

Latest posts

Back