PVC Confusion

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevek

Reaction score
Hi all
I have just started a bunch of fix it and remodel projects in hopes of selling my house in Ct.
A few days ago I noticed water had leaked thru my bathroom ceiling. Went into the attic above inspected the roof, no sign of seepage thru the roof. What I found was a tiny bit of water dripping from a 11/2" PVC sch 40 pipe. I would like to know what that piping is for. One section goes down behind my shower,
another section runs down behind my washer/dryer, another section connects to the stink-pipe. If this piping has to do with venting or gas fumes, why the heck is there water in it? Could there be water sneaking down the stink-pipe from outside?
Sorry for the length of this message but I would appreciate any comments
Thanks
Steve

Could be condensation in the vent pipe or a bad roof flashing for the vent. Check the unions in the pipe for a loose fitting. Then check the roof for a crack in the seal of the roof boot.

...oh...and welcome to House Repair Talk.

Go up on the roof. The vent seal is leaking.
There's a simple rubber seal (rain cap) that slips right over the PVC pipe. Any real plumbing supply should have them.
I'm sitting here right now looking at my recepets for the ones I just bought and an 1-1/4 is $4.29 plus tax.
Oakely makes them.
A very common problum. I buy 4 of each size every week.
You can also buy the whole vent stack seal but then your stuck with trying to get the whole thing out and old shingles will always break and make a simple 5 min. job take all day.

Latest posts

Back