Re-tiling a Standup Shower

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surferob

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm a handyman with some remodeling experience. I'm going to be helping a friend remodel his bathroom including demoing the old standup, fully-tiled shower (no fiberglass) shower and re-tiling it. I'm curious what we're going to have to do with regard to the old shower pan. The house is built in the '80s so I'm assuming it was hot-mopped and with a mortar bed on top sloping to the drain. I expect the shower dam to be hot-mopped as well. So am I going to be able to simply chip away the original tile, clean it up and then start applying the new tile? Or am I going to have to go deeper with the demo and have the whole pan re-hot-mopped? Seems kind of extreme, but I've never re-done a shower like this so I don't know what's typically required. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

Is the dwelling on a slab or raised foundation, and if on a raised foundation, have you been underneath to check for water damage?

It would depend on how delicate you remove the existing tile, and what the sub floor looks like.

Is the dwelling on a slab or raised foundation, and if on a raised foundation, have you been underneath to check for water damage?

It's on a slab. I started the demo yesterday and was able to see that it wasn't hot-mopped during construction. They used a membrane under the pan and around the blocking. So I guess I'm just going to demo it right down to the slab, get it hot-mopped and start the new tile job from scratch.

Good idea! When you can, please post pics for us. We like pics!

Latest posts

Back