Recessed lighting went out (3 way light switch) - How to fix?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsrider2

Reaction score
Hi,

I was getting ready for work this morning and turned on my kitchen recessed lights via the 3 way switch (center switch here is what is used) then it was out just a second or two later as if the lights died on me. Now, I have a 2 way switch on the other side of my kitchen where the left switch operates the same recessed lighting that had gone out via the center switch located on my 3 way switch on other side of kitchen. The lights turned back on because of the 2 way switch (left switch has on/off written on there which is used to operate the recessed lights) and acts as if nothing happened. The problem is that the center switch on 3 way panel appears to be the issue as it doesn't work anymore even after making sure the one isn't overriding the other. I've never had an issue with this before now so I am hoping it will be a quick fix. I am wondering what the issue is... as mentioned, the left and right switches are still working on the 3 way (right switch on my 3 way switch is for outside door light... the left switch is for a regular non recessed light.. and the center (has on/off written on there) is supposed to be for the recessed lighting located near my stove/kitchen sink area). I have attached photos of the 3 way switch and also the 2 way switch for better visual understanding of what I am trying to describe.

Any ideas or solutions on how to fix this? What should be all that is needed to fix this back to normal?

Thank you so much in advance!

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 15
  • thumbnail-1.jpg
    thumbnail-1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 11
  • thumbnail-2.jpg
    thumbnail-2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 11
  • thumbnail-3.jpg
    thumbnail-3.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 9
To clarify for you, both switches that control the lights must BOTH be 3 way switches. The center switch in the first picture and the left switch in the second picture are both 3 way switches (the words ON and OFF do not appear on a 3 way switch).

The likely problem is that one of your traveler wires is not connected to one of those two switches. Turn off the breaker take the cover plate off, remove the switch, and check for a loose wire. If the wires are "backstabbed" (pushed into holes on the back of the switch), remove them and reconnect them to the screws.

Thanks for the response Jeff!

So based upon this, it should be a quick and easy fix then? I am at work now so will try this at home later on this evening.

I will remove the switch and look for anything loose, etc. Reconnect and then try them back out.

I am glad something like this happened because I need to learn more about electrical and this seems like a great start haha

I just looked a little closer. The left switch in the third and forth pictures is a regular switch, not a 3 way. If that is the one that operates the same lights, that switch should be a 3 way switch. If it is not, I believe that the 3 way in picture 1 will only operate the lights if the regular switch is in the ON position. If the lights will not go on regardless of which position the regular switch is in, then you have a loose wire somewhere. The correct solution would be to install a 3 way switch where that regular switch is currently. If you need directions on how to connect that new 3 way switch, post back.

That would be great. It is weird because everything has been working perfect since I moved into the house almost a year ago. I also took pictures with the electric cover off in regards to the 3 light switches and attaching them now in case that might help us out.

So just to clarify, it is the center switch here that is NOT working for the recessed lights. However, the recessed lights do turn on ONLY by the switch over on the electric cover with two switches at the moment. Normally, I would also be able to turn the recessed lights on with the center switch too.

Attachments

• thumbnail-1.jpg
    thumbnail-1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail-2.jpg
    thumbnail-2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 19
  • thumbnail-3.jpg
    thumbnail-3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 16
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Again, I had not zoomed in on your picture of the center switch until now, and simply took your word for it that it was a 3way switch. However, that center switch is not a 3 way switch, and neither is the one on the other side of the room. Therefore, your description makes no sense to me. Stupid question, but are you sure that BOTH of these switches controlled those lights? I can only think of one way that would even be possible, and I cannot imagine any reason they would be wired that way. Basically, that one way would be power coming into switch 1 and then switch 1 would have to be in the ON position to send power to switch 2, and then switch 2 would send power to the lights when switch 2 is in the ON position. If they were wired that way, turning off either switch would cause the lights to go out, but in order to turn the lights on, BOTH switches would have to be in the ON position.

To figure this out, remove both switches from their boxes. Then look to see if you have a red wire in both boxes (they may be just sitting in the box not connected to anything). If you do, go out and buy two 3-way switches, and post back. I will then describe how to wire them.

Sounds good Jeff.

Yes, both of these switches controlled the recessed light. Not sure if it is helpful or not, but the non recessed lights in my kitchen work just as you describe. I just asked my wife since we both cannot exactly recall if one of the switches needed to be in the 'On' position to work, but we both don't believe it needed to be since we would randomly turn the light On/Off depending which side we entered the kitchen area. I walked into my kitchen like normal this morning and turned it on as usual but then it went off within a quick second or two as if the bulb blew out which is what I thought happened. But then went back to the other switch and they popped right back on.. it is like the one switch died on me.

I did look briefly this morning with the cover off and did NOT see any red wires but I also did not remove it from where it is.

I recommend you label all the wires & take notes & photos . Or you will be back asking how to straighten the wiring out & make it work .

Also , buy a new switch & install it while you are at it . They are not expensive . A 3-way switch has 3 terminals / screws . Typically 2 of the same color and the 3rd of a different color . Transfer the wires from the old switch to the new switch , one wire at a time . Paying careful attention . Get the 3 wires wrong & it will not work correctly .

Wyr
God bless

Jeff's first comment made no sense and confused the issue. On the 3 gang switches it is the left switch that is the 3 way And on the 2 gang the right switch is a dimmer switch. I don't know how that would ever work as a 3 way.

Jeff's first comment made no sense and confused the issue. On the 3 gang switches it is the left switch that is the 3 way And on the 2 gang the right switch is a dimmer switch. I don't know how that would ever work as a 3 way.
The OP clearly stated that on the 3 gang, the CENTER switch was what he was calling the 3way that controlled the lights. Before negatively commenting, it may be a good idea to re-read the original post.

The OP clearly stated that on the 3 gang, the CENTER switch was what he was calling the 3way that controlled the lights. Before negatively commenting, it may be a good idea to re-read the original post.
Oh, I read the original post AND I looked closely at each photo which is what you should have done. I know in your second post you acknowledged that and I think you agree that something isn't right in his explanation and/or pictures.

I agree that something isn't right. Either he is mistaken on which switch controls them or, as I described in a later post, someone made them regular switches, and the switch where the incoming power is, must remain in the on position, in order for the other switch to be able to turn the lights off and on.

I took the OP at his word. Your insulting comments in your two posts were, in my opinion, uncalled for.
Oh, I read the original post AND I looked closely at each photo which is what you should have done. I know in your second post you acknowledged that and I think you agree that something isn't right in his explanation and/or pictures.

Latest posts

Back