Refrigerator Issues/Diagnosis

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavvyCat

Reaction score
I know this forum isn't about appliance repair, but I hope to hear from some of you who have knowledge on the subject of refrigerators and can help me sound less stupid and gullible when I call for repair.

I bought my house with the fridge included and with a home warranty. The last two times I bought, the warranty included the fridge. Now that I have an issue with the fridge, I found out the warranty purchased doesn't cover it. Grr! :mad:

At first, the ice wouldn't dispense. I found that the fork that turned the auger wasn't moving, but after tripping it on and off several times it would start up. Then I found that the ice would be reduced to a half melted blob and the entire bucket was useless. I started thinking it was an ice maker issue, but now I think it's a thermostat issue. Here's why:

I put a thermometer in and found that it varied between -20 all the way up to 65. Several things would thaw completely in the cycle, and that might also account for the ice blob in the bucket. Also, if the bucket was empty, during the high temp time, neither the switch nor the auger had any problems. I assume that the melting creates a lot of water, and the re-freeze froze the other functions in place. In my silly blond mind, only a thermostat issue would account for the wide temp swing that results in the other issues down the line.

Please let me know if this sounds like an accurate diagnosis to you and what I might say to a repairman that says, "Don't you dare try to BS me." Of course, if this sounds like something else, I'm open to input.

Thanks!!! =:)

Have you broached these conditions with the appliances service center?

You can find the model number and serial number and manufacturer listed on a sticker.
Usually it is on the side wall inside the freezer section.
From that info, you can find repair manuals, or videos on Youtube showing how to change out the defrost timer.
Or just to find info on typical repair costs, so you are better prepared if you hire someone.

"Or just to find info on typical repair costs, so you are better prepared if you hire someone.”

That’s what I did. I watched a couple of videos, but it looked a little complex. (Although I did replace my own iPhone battery, so I think I can do almost anything.) I know the cost of the part and how long it should take.

If you have the Nextdoor app in your city, get on there and ask for recommendations for trustworthy appliance repair companies.
Or post that same question on local Facebook.

Latest posts

Back