Relight Hot Water Tank Pilot - once every 3-6 months

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch5280

Reaction score
Every 3-6 months I have to go down to the basement and relight the pilot on the hot water tank once every 3-6 months. I go through the steps and it lights back on with no problem.

Any clue why this happens and what I can do about it?

Thanks!

My guess is you are getting a back draft from wind etc and it is blowing it out.

Not sure where your exhaust goes but I had that problem with a chimney once and i put a rain/bird cap on and it solved the problem.

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

If the pilot extends "well above the thermocouple, it's too strong. If the flame covers the top of the thermocouple and burns steadily with a yellow tip, that's just about right."

Also, somebody may make a flapper valve for the vent that allows only upward air flow.

A high wind area may be trouble.
http://design.medeek.com/resources/wind.html

It vents to the side of the house about 3 feet up from the ground. I'll look into some type of cap.
Thanks!

If you have access to the pilot hood(where the pilot flame originates), blow some compressed air down it. You do NOT want a candeling flame but a strong blue flame on the 3/8” upper tip of the thermocouple. Also depending on your style tank, if it’s a sealed unit, the combustion air opening could need a cleaning.

How old is the water heater? Maybe the thermocouple is wearing out, which can lead to random widely spaced in time loss of the pilot flame as you are experiencing.

"A typical gas or oil fired water heater life expectancy is from 8-12 years" which proly includes 95% of heaters.
If yours is within this interval, only 3% chance it failed due to age & your number came up. Unlikely that the WH abused the TC so the TC then failed for some reason within itself.

Back