Replacing gate to wooden fence; suggestions or feed back to my plan?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACardAttack

Reaction score
I've been replacing my fence other than the posts as those are still in good condition. All I have left is the gate. I have attached a picture of the gate with numbers on the pieces to make it easier to talk about

One thing I know I am doing is adding a wheel to it since it's such a long gate

My original plan was to build the gate and then put it on, but it's only myself and my wife. I am afraid to unattach the hinges from the post, they're in there good and I feel trying to reattach those could cause issues unless we're perfect.

Then I had the idea of doing it piece by piece. I would attach piece 1 to the hinges and then go as I have them numbered. Then I realized I wouldn't be able to screw from the bottom.

My current plan is to put together pieces 1, 2, 3 & 5, then attach to the hinges at piece 1. At that point once attached I should be able to go around and do 4, 6, 7, 8 & 9.

Thoughts on my current plan? Other advice or tips for those who have tried something like this?

Thanks

gate.png

Were it I, and not anticipating the need for access by a large excavator, I would place another post, allowing a 36", or larger, clear swung open access, eliminating 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & the wheel, use 2X3 cedar 45'd & dia. braced from the lower hinge side.

Back