Replacing hood with microwave: need a dedicated line?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
We have a hood over the range that we want to replace with a slim over-range microwave with exhaust. I was told that microwave would have to have it's own dedicated electric line. Is this true? TIA!

Generally, yes, because of the power requirements of the microwave.

The vent in the appliance will seldom provide more than 300CFM.

Venting appliances, usually, can operate from an existing appliance/convenience circuit, unless they are following a specific cooking appliance mfg's recommendation.

My guess is that a small microwave id less than 1200 W so it shouldn't require a separate line.

Mine has a dedicated outlet. If you ran the microwave, coffee maker, and toaster oven at the same time you'd probably trip the breaker. When might that happen? Breakfast for one. Toast some bread, brew a pot of coffee and warm something in the MW. Generally, kitchens built in the last 30+ years will have two circuits on their countertops, so if you keep the higher wattage items (toaster, air fryer, coffee maker, Instant Pot, etc) spread across the two circuits you should be OK.

I have never given it any thought but have never had a kitchen breaker trip. It my just be luck or the fact that coffee makers only draw high current for a few minutes.

Back