Replacing wood balusters with metal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dborns

Reaction score
IMG_1547.jpg IMG_1548.jpg IMG_1549.jpg IMG_1547.jpg IMG_1548.jpg IMG_1549.jpg IMG_1550.jpg IMG_1551.jpg We're removing our round wood spindles for square metal ones. I've never done this before so I don't want to mess it up. I've got a few questions before I start. This is on an interior stairwell, but I wasn't sure what forum it would be best for; I figured it would be the same with deck balusters.

First off, do I just break the wood ones out to remove them? They're pretty tight in the handrail, and some don't spin or wobble.

The new metal ones are 44", and I only need about 33 1/5" in length. The new balusters have one end that is tapered about 1", and the other end has a hole for what I'm assuming is a set screw hole, as the lower bases, and upper brackets all have set screws. (See pics attached). My thought was to shorten the tapered end, as the holes under the handrail are bigger for the larger diameter wood balusters. Does that sound correct? I would then have the full diameter of the new spindle at the top and bottom hole of the handrail and step, with the set screw hole at the bottom.IMG_1547.jpg

In the staircase, there are balusters that go into the bottom of the handrail perpendicular, and then the ones going up the stairs that are angled. The upper "brackets" are angled, so I can see how they'll keep those balusters from spinning, but, the perpendicular balusters will just have a square base shoe at the top and bottom, and that won't keep the baluster from spinning, or possibly tilting if the hole in the handrail is bigger that the diameter of the baluster itself. Am I over thinking this or making it more difficult than it should be?

Sorry, I'm not sure why the pics doubled up.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Back