Restore Baseboards/wood in house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gottodo1

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
My new house has very fancy but soft wood. Our floors, doors, baseboards and railings all ding and get damaged at the drop of a hat and the longer I live here the more defects I find. SO I redid the flooring in my wife's craft room (Pic attached) and when I took off the baseboards I realized just how damaged/dingy they are (including the doors). What are some good techniques to restore baseboards and or work with these types of woods.
I'll post some pictures later of the baseboard but here's a picture of the new heated flooring, just waiting for me to build a giant murphy bed cabinet. That's why I have a whole in the flooring. (I'll start a new post asking for suggestions on wood/finishes for that later ;)
IMG_20220130_220934321.jpg

Couldn't edit my post for some reason so here's the picturesIMG_20220201_084152468.jpgIMG_20220201_084145199.jpgIMG_20220201_084122494.jpg

Going to have to sand and refinish.
Looks like someone may have scratched it when installing carpeting at one point.

Going to have to sand and refinish.
Looks like someone may have scratched it when installing carpeting at one point.
Joe,
That makes sense (I know we didn't do when removing carpet). Only problem is I've only ever used one stain and one finish (poly for high gloss doors/baseboards) in my old house knowing the wood wouldn't match the upstairs wood... how can I figure out how to match the baseboards to the rest of the wood (like the doors) and the rest of the house.
I also will take some pictures of the back of the baseboards... I'm concerned with how light weight and light colored the ends were that maybe this isn't real wood so maybe I can't sand and refinish? The top of these boards is also very rough so I wouldn't mind sanding them so they are smooth as I haven't figured out how they dusted/kept them clean.

Finishing wood is one area I'm really weak in and would love to understand better for my upcoming murphy bed project anyway. How do you make a matte flat finish like these have and make it durable?

My two thoughts:

1. A fine woodworking forum is likely a better than a DIY to find the help you need.

2. If you don't own an 18 ga pin nailer - get one. I bought one a few months ago when I replaced some baseboard and that project alone made the purchase worthwhile. Since then I have found lots of other uses, particularly as an alternative to clamps for glue-ups.

My two thoughts:

1. A fine woodworking forum is likely a better than a DIY to find the help you need.

2. If you don't own an 18 ga pin nailer - get one. I bought one a few months ago when I replaced some baseboard and that project alone made the purchase worthwhile. Since then I have found lots of other uses, particularly as an alternative to clamps for glue-ups.
Fair enough I suppose.

I have done some near matches using Minwax satin finishes. I had to refinish the top of a server due to some water spots and sun fading. I found a product that was stain and finish and it would take an expert to tell the top had been refinished. I then used the same finish on DIY transition strips between laminate flooring and tile. The laminate was called rustic amber and the Minwax was chestnut satin on oak but the match was near perfect.

Latest posts

Back