Retrofit gutters/fascia on stucco

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwood1922

Reaction score
1930 stucco home, 80% of roof is flat with box gutters etc. 20% is clay tile with no gutters. The clay tiles overhang only about 3 inches beyond stucco, see picture. There are windows underneath, not shown. After window repairs, expert window technician said I should install gutters up there.

Gutter contractor proposes to fasten 2x4 wood fascia over stucco. Crazy or not? Attic is dry, window tops did not need repairs, problems were at bottoms.

Original 1930 stucco has very coarse texture - should there be adhesive between new wood fascia and stucco?

2x4 will create a right angle with the exterior wall. Should I request instead a 2x6 with the last two inches beveled off? My idea is that water beads will then drop instead of hanging on. Or maybe there's foam trim for something like that.

Also, some basics. I think I need to ask contractor for specifics such as
-Contractor has experience retrofitting wood fascia on stucco?
-screws specified for wood + masonry?
-pilot holes angled slightly upward?
-pilot holes filled with suitable non-water-based caulk? (not sure how they are going to pack those holes though)
-Would you change this list?

tile-stucco-overhang-b.jpg

Last edited:
I would paint the bottom of the 2x4 before it went up and forget about all that stuff you are worried about.

I agree with Neal, paint the fascia before install and don't over think the process. Except, make sure the installer knows what he's doing.

Thanks nealtw and oldognewtrick. A different gutter installer, the largest in my neighborhood I think, said I would have to to waive warranty on stucco leaks! Or, they would warranty, but only if I first got a stucco contractor to tear out a band of stucco, install fascia to framing members, and close it up.

So yes, maybe I was over thinking. But I do not hold the world record for over thinking this one.

Latest posts

Back