Rotten Clapboards/Trim Boards: what Tools?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MassWineGuy

Reaction score
My house has a few corners where I need to fix rotten clapboards and trim. Whatever qualities a skilled carpenter has, I am the exact opposite.

How do I saw and remove these boards with some precision? I’ve tried a reciprocating saw and a keyhole saw. Neither worked well. Would an oscillating saw be the answer? 48176106-B1A8-424C-95DC-889E579AB8C2.jpegDA555C4B-F36B-43E7-A289-A9696B7A64AB.jpeg483C383E-164D-4B3E-8C1E-11DB7361ADE0.jpeg

Score the caulk joint between the siding and corner board deep enough to break the bond. Gently pry the old corner boards off.

As Dog mentioned you should have first cut the paint line on the corner boards, but then you should have been using a cats paw nail puller to pull the nails, then the boards would have just fallen off.
To get the clap boards off you cut the paint line, tap in a flat bar where the nails are just enough to slip in a saws all blade with a metal cutting blade and cut the nails off.
After the board slides out, tap in what's left of the nail.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...ht=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=ffffff&action=click

This seems to be more than I’m capable of so I’m going to hire someone.

Latest posts

Back