running an a/c vent

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ottoreaderty

Reaction score
I want to run an a/c vent from the main a/c in the attic to my garage, there is an overhang over my back steps that connects the garage to the house. I was thinking I could cut a hole in the a/c line and have it go down a tube to the garage. Is there any chance I could overload my A/C? Also how do you usually seal up your garage door well enough that it can keep cold air in there?

just cut a hole and then seal it off with some rubber sealant from walmart

you should also probably get a vent that way you can shut it off if it's taking too much away from your house

You can't overload your a/c by adding additional ductwork... the worst that can happen is, since the thermostat is in the house not the garage, you need to over/undercool the house to get the garage temperature right.

--Bushytails

Best thing to do is ask a A.C. person about this. Let them know your square footage of your house and the size of your A.C. unit. When I installed my new unit at my house I went from a 3 1/2 ton to a 4 ton unit because I was dropping vents in my garage.

Latest posts

Back