Sharkbite Fitting Installation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
My first time ever experience with sharkbite. In finding a leak behind the wall I have removed the toilet stop valve and exposed the plumbing behind the wall. Next I want to temporarily install a sharkbite stop valve so I can turn the water on and find the leak. On youtube it looks like an easy push but when I try it seems like a lot more force is required. It was a ½" copper sweat stub and I have heat wiped then sanded all tinning off. Should it be fairly easy to push on or should just brace the tubing and give it all I've got?

My first time ever experience with sharkbite. In finding a leak behind the wall I have removed the toilet stop valve and exposed the plumbing behind the wall. Next I want to temporarily install a sharkbite stop valve so I can turn the water on and find the leak. On youtube it looks like an easy push but when I try it seems like a lot more force is required. It was a ½" copper sweat stub and I have heat wiped then sanded all tinning off. Should it be fairly easy to push on or should just brace the tubing and give it all I've got?
The sharkbite should press on relatively easily. Was going to say the pipe could be slightly deformed due to a compression fitting but, you have indicated that it was a sweat fitting. Not sure what to tell you. Perhaps you have a bad fitting straight out of the box, I've seen stranger things. Maybe someone will have better advice, sorry I couldn't be of service.

I have used sharkbites on PEX and copper. You shouldn't have to use much force in pushing them on.

one thing that might help is a tiny chamfer on the corner of the tube. You are slipping it inside a seal and if the end has a sharp corner that could be grabbing. :)

Back