SHARKBITE fittings for air line

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
I am finishing up the preproduction elements of my project and have an issue that can be resolved with SHARKBITE coupler for 1/2" copper on my air line.

Has anyone used sharkbites for air?

thanks

I am finishing up the preproduction elements of my project and have an issue that can be resolved with SHARKBITE coupler for 1/2" copper on my air line.

Has anyone used sharkbites for air?

thanks

rated at 200 psi max 180 degrees

Rectorseal #5 is my go to sealant for any fitting, gas, air, or water.

Shark Bites are expencive and copper should not be used for air lines.

I know you know your stuff Joe, but I installed copper air lines at my old house 15 years ago and still working great, and not a sign of any discoloration or problems. Then again, I haven't looked at the inside of the pipes. :confused:

I have copper pipes for my airlines as well. It's all in the attic with drops to each outlet. Hopefully that design keeps water from standing even though I will not worry about it. Worst case it pops a line and I have to cut out drywall to fix it.

A failure with air under pressure is lot more dangerous than a liquid under pressure.
So what are you referring to ? Or do you mean just out of the blue with nothing in particular or specifically anecdotallike grass is green, sky is blue...

Last edited:
I have seen copper used a lot, not sure it is rated for that pressure of air but I wouldn't chance a shark bite, Although I don't know if a failure would be explosive like a pipe failure.
The other problem with copper is what happens in a fire, soldered joints fail and feed air to the fire.

I agree air is more dangerous than water under pressure. If you install them like mine they are inside the wall wrapped in insulation and then drywall. Almost no risk in the case of a pipe bursting. If my house is on fire the last thing I will worry about is it feeding the fire. I'll be more worried about the live ammunition.

I have seen copper used a lot, not sure it is rated for that pressure of air but I wouldn't chance a shark bite, Although I don't know if a failure would be explosive like a pipe failure.
The other problem with copper is what happens in a fire, soldered joints fail and feed air to the fire.
I am using the blue label copper I think "L" copper....none of my lines will be pressurized beyond 90 psi...thanks for the heads up !

Latest posts

Back