Shed on Concrete Driveway

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ex0r

Reaction score
Hello there. I am getting ready to plan for redoing my driveway, as it's in desperate need of repour. I am wanting to draw out the plans for the layout, but had a couple of questions.

My driveway is about 6 feet wide, and about 75 feet long to the front sidewalk. I want my driveway to extend all the way to the back of my property line (minus about 2-4 feet), as I want to be able to mount a shed on it. My question is, can I pour the concrete all the way back and then build the shed right on-top of the remaining 6x12 feet of concrete slab (using PT wood of course), or do I have to build foundations and footings for the shed? It will be a framed shed with wood or vinyl siding on it to match the house, but it won't be very tall, or house anything other than some bikes, backyard furniture, some pool supplies and lawn equipment (a push mower and weed trimmer).

Want to plan for how much concrete I actually need.

Raise the last 12 feet a few inches, so the shed isn't just a place for driveway water to go.

If I did that, I would think I would need at least the last 3 feet or so before the shed begins to make a 'ramp' up to the increased height, otherwords I would be lifting things up into the shed. I think that will be okay (the ramp, not lifting things up). I will have a gradual downhill slope going from the back of the driveway out to the street anyway, as well as probably a slight slope from middle to edges so the water can run off to the sides and out to the street.

The 4” thick driveway will be fine for the floor of the shed and strong enough to support the shed. I would build the shed free standing on top of the driveway and not drill or anchor it into the driveway. If you ever needed to move it you could drag it. Doing it that way no one will say it is a permanent structure.

The 4” thick driveway will be fine for the floor of the shed and strong enough to support the shed. I would build the shed free standing on top of the driveway and not drill or anchor it into the driveway. If you ever needed to move it you could drag it. Doing it that way no one will say it is a permanent structure.

Thanks! I was just thinking, a 6x12 shed is pretty big anyway so I will probably make it smaller. Maybe a 4x6 shed, or 4x8. (Not much smaller, but a nice even dimensional size)

Thanks! I was just thinking, a 6x12 shed is pretty big anyway so I will probably make it smaller. Maybe a 4x6 shed, or 4x8. (Not much smaller, but a nice even dimensional size)
Most towns set a limit on sheds at 100 sq ft. they say you can build one and some places don’t require much if anything in the way of permits and other read tape if you stay under 100.

A 10x10 building looks a little odd and building materials come in 4x8 sheets so many people go for an 8x12 shed saves on some cutting and framing and comes out as 96 sq ft. If you put a double door on the 8’ end you can get in and out with most riding mowers and still have room at the far end for storage or whatever.

If you go smaller than 8x12 I’m willing to bet you will wish you had gone bigger in short order.

Most towns set a limit on sheds at 100 sq ft. they say you can build one and some places don’t require much if anything in the way of permits and other read tape if you stay under 100.

A 10x10 building looks a little odd and building materials come in 4x8 sheets so many people go for an 8x12 shed saves on some cutting and framing and comes out as 96 sq ft. If you put a double door on the 8’ end you can get in and out with most riding mowers and still have room at the far end for storage or whatever.

If you go smaller than 8x12 I’m willing to bet you will wish you had gone bigger in short order.

I don't have a riding mower, as my yard isn't big enough for it. Right now, all I store in my shed is three bikes, a small push mower, and a weed wacker. I am not sure on the dimensions of the shed right now, but it's a really old aluminum built shed. It's pretty cramped right now, but it's because there are things that need removed out of there from when I moved in I haven't gotten out yet. I may just go with 8x12. I think 100 is the cutoff for non-permit work on sheds. 8x12 is also a nice round number and easy to cut and build since it's dimensional. 2x4s come in both 8 and 12 foot lengths, after all :)

Back