Shower floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cb104

Reaction score
My shower floor is a fiberglass pan. In the spring and summer, or when it's warm outside, my shower floor creeks a bit at the drain when I step on it. After it creeks, the noise will cease until after I get out and get back in. Almost as if it gets pushed down, stays down, and comes back up when I get out. Funny thing is that in the winter time it does not creek at all. I live in Kentucky and we have very cold winters and very hot summers. And idea what's going on or if there is a solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

The floor is flexing because it needs support. Commonly, a bed of mortar, plaster, or foam is applied under these pans during installation. If you want to fix the situation, you will need access to the underside.

Here is a humorous video of a good old boy who went after his shower pan with expanding foam ...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfsbXx78Kjs[/ame]

That video is funny.
My shower pan doesn't move and I have access to it from my crawl space. There is no space at all between the shower pan and the floor. However, there is a square cut out of the floor for the drain pipe that comes under the house. Then, a slot is cut out in a floor joist and the drain pipe sits firmly in it. I just think it's odd that it doesn't creak in the winter. Could that somehow be causing the problem? Do you think it's the PVC pipe slightly moving and rubbing the joist that causes the noise? Because it only makes the creaking noise when you step in certain spots right around the drain.

Ever try creating music from a glass of water? To be able to rub your finger around the glass you need to dip your finger into the water. I am sure that in the summer the moisture in the air is higher, and I am sure that what rubs in the summer makes a little noise, but in the winter tightens up, loses moisture, and doesn't make the same noise. Crawl under there and have someone stand in the shower and see if you can observe any movement in the joists.

This is the view from underneathImageUploadedByHome Repair1401202837.274731.jpgImageUploadedByHome Repair1401202863.100544.jpgImageUploadedByHome Repair1401202882.418481.jpg

Wow, that joist was cut in the worst possible spot imaginable. I think that is probably causing more movement in the floor than should be occurring. See if you can replicate the noise while under the crawl space. I would beef up that joist, not sure how, metal ties perhaps, laminate some boards to it, try and identify where the noise is coming from and possibly hit with some screws from above, etc.

You need to install another joist as close to the drain as you can get it. Your squeak is likely that joist. Buy the 2x? to match the same size as your joists and let it dry for a few weeks so it is pre-shrunk. Then make sure it is the same height before installing it. You slide it in on the flat and then work like crap to stand it up. Then fit something in for spacers between the old and new and screw them together.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Also, I just closed off all of my crawl space vents. I read that could possible contribute to problems like that in the summer, especially when the problem isn't present in the winter. The humidity level is always pretty high where I live in spring and summer.

No that situation will only get worse. The floor joist may or may not be the noise problem but it is a huge problem anyway. Over time and not that much time, it will sag and when it does tiles will crack and grout will fall out and it is just a matter of time that your new bathroom will need big repairs. Get this looked after, better sooner than later.

These guys are right, that joist needs support. The noise may not be coming from the shower pan but possibly from the subfloor or the joist itself. But there is no sense in taking care of the creak without taking care of the joist.

The drain sits tight in that joist, too. I'll have someone look at it and see what they can do.

What type of contractor can I get to correct the situation? Basic? Plumber?

Carpenter, framer, handyman that will do as he is told. Get a recommendation from a local lumber yard. Print the picture I posted in #12 and tell them, that's what you want.

Thanks very much. How much will a job like that cost?

That's a hard one. I think you will have to look for people and ask them how much. Probably a few hundred.

Latest posts

Back