Sliding attic door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68bucks

Reaction score
So I need to build a door for the attic of my shop at the top of the stairs. The door would be wider than a 3' door. The steps I built are 40" wide to make it easier to get totes and stuff up and down and want to keep the door as wide as possible. After looking at it a while I think I want a sliding door rather than a swing. The problem I have is the door has just about zero clearance at the top because it will come right up to the 2x of the truss. So my thought was a bottom roller of some sort. Searching around I keep finding closet door hardware and I'm not confident that would be heavy duty enough. Anyone have experience with something that might work? I'm also open to other ideas. Here are a couple pics of the opening. Doesn't have to be beautiful, it's a shop, and doesn't have to be air tight. Just trying to keep most of the heat downstairs.20220208_120501.jpg20220208_120507.jpg

How about putting 2 hinges at the top and a pull handle at the bottom and when you open the door it swings up to the staircase ceiling where you latch it.

You asked for ideas...

Well I like bud's outside the box idea. Probably wouldn't work to well. I ran a J channel across the 2x4 to receive theetal ceiling panel an ideally I think I would like the door to close against it. It would be hard to get a hinge in there to work the right way. The zero clearance track I have worked with in the past. I suppose I could but some blocks in between the truss members and lag the hangers to that. I'd have a gap between the track and the top of the door of some size that would draft a lot of warm air. I could maybe put in a flexible flap or something that could reduce it. I've never worked with pocket door hardware so I'm trying to visualize how that would work. I could screw it to the trusses easy enough. Wouldn't be in a wall like normal but I don't care.

It would be easy to just hinge the door but it sort of takes a lot of floor space to swing a wide door. Swing to the right would be best, that's toward a wall but that would block a window and cut down the light. I'm thinking I want a window in the door to let more light in at the top of the steps so if I could line the two windows up it might work. Thanks for the ideas, still pondering.

I forgot one point, the opening is 38" wide but only 78" tall so that's why I'm looking for something that won't reduce that height too much.

Latest posts

Back