Soundproofing drop ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asmodeuskraemer

Reaction score
Ahoy all!
My fiance and I bought a house about 2 months ago and his computer/gaming station is right below our bedroom. The basement has a drop ceiling and we'd like to insulate it against sound.

I've read that Roxul products are great for general ceiling insulation but does anyone have any recommendations for what to use with a drop ceiling?
Ideally we'd like to replace the drop ceiling with something more 'regular' but that's not in our budget at all.

Thanks so much!

You could just put batt insulation above the drop ceiling but I would put a couple layers of fibreglass insulation between the floor joist above the ceiling.
When you do finish the ceiling later that work will be done and there is more that can be done when you do the ceiling later.
Can't find anything that says roxal is better than fibreglass for soundproofing. fibreglass does give you the itchies.
And welcome to the site and and congrats on buying the house.

Ahoy all!
My fiance and I bought a house about 2 months ago and his computer/gaming station is right below our bedroom. The basement has a drop ceiling and we'd like to insulate it against sound.

I've read that Roxul products are great for general ceiling insulation but does anyone have any recommendations for what to use with a drop ceiling?
Ideally we'd like to replace the drop ceiling with something more 'regular' but that's not in our budget at all.

Thanks so much!

While unfaced batt insulation, depending on the thickness, may achieve the most for the money.

If the ceiling is a true "T" bar product and suspended by wires from the floor joists, you will continue to experience some of the "intensity" of the competition, so an area rug may be in the offing.

There are also products by both ARMSTRONG and US GYPSUM for sound attenuation;https://www.usg.com/content/usgcom/en/products-solutions/solutions/acoustics.html

Another product by INSUL-QUILT;http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/acoust_ceilings/ss_ceiling.htm

Last edited:
Back