Spackling/Taping issues...Plz help

Discussion in 'Painting Forum' started by nick62388, Sep 4, 2019.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Sep 4, 2019 #1

nick62388

nick62388

nick62388

I have had plenty of experience over the years with spackling and taping....But even after all the research and practice I am still horrible and can't get it down right..... I figure I should have turned to the forums first!

My latest project I cut a hole in the wall and a hole in the ceiling to fish wire through for hooking up a fan in the ceiling. I used the cutouts from the drywall for when I patched up the wall to spackle.

I can't post pictures until I make 1 post, so pics coming whenever I'm allowed. But after placing the cutouts back in wall/ceiling, I spackled over it and let it dry.....

The next day, being the spackle was a little rough from the first coat and the cut being a little jaggedy, I sanded slightly.....I then threw more mud over the cutout, put paper tape over the cutout, and layed more spackled over the tape and let it dry......

The next day, it needed a tad bit more sanding, but as I was sanding after the second coat of spackle, the tape started to show thru faintly....I had no choice but to lay more spackle down on the wall which will need more sanding.....

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG, PLEASE HELP, SEND SOME GUIDANCE ADVICE, BECAUSE I have practiced and practiced for years with spackling holes, taping with paper tape and I am still beyond horrible, if its not flat spackle jobs, its the tape showing through after sanding.

2. Sep 4, 2019 #2

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Welcome.
    There are a myriad of UTUBE videos about this and several discussions here-in, however this is how I address this.

1. A butterfly which is a piece of drywall larger than that removed. On the backside the removed piece is replicated and cut, not thru, just scored. The portion outside the scored area is peeled away, leaving the surface paper, which is then mudded on the backside and the patch is installed and troweled smooth. When used on a ceiling a piece of 1x is first fitted within the hole and secured, and the butterfly is also secured with a screw. I use dry mix 5 or 20min. mud so a 2nd coat is applied in minutes, and a finish applied after slight, if any, sanding. Prime and paint.

2. Using a drywall sew cut the hole at a 45 degree angle, install a 1x backing, mud both the 45 edges, screw in place mud over, finish trowel, sand slightly, prime and paint.

There is a slight, marginal, learning curve.