Spot-treating bubbling/peeling lead paint

Discussion in 'Painting Forum' started by bh_homeowner, Feb 20, 2017.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 20, 2017 #1

bh_homeowner

bh_homeowner

bh_homeowner

I just bought a house that was built in 1921 (2 br, 1 ba, 1000 sq. ft.). I've already confirmed lead paint in a number of areas that I already suspected due to the age of the home. The interior paint is in excellent condition, except for a few problem areas. I have a peeling spots in the bathroom of roughly 36 sq. in. and I have some bubbling paint on a section of molding in the living room also about 36 sq. in. No kids, just my fiancée and I.

I wanted to spot-treat the problem areas. What kind of precautions do I need to take to limit dust and exposure for just those areas? Do I need to cover everything/move everything out of the room, clean up with a HEPA vacuum, seal off doorways, etc.? I'm pretty OCD about most things, and would like to keep any lead contamination to a minimum. Initially, I was thinking about wet-scraping/sanding, then priming, then repainting. But, now I'm also considering chemically-stripping those areas.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. Feb 20, 2017 #2

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Small areas are fairly easy to correct with wet sanding, and for the bathroom prime all the walls and ceilings with a transitional primer before repainting. The same will work for the small area of molding.

3. Feb 21, 2017 #3

bh_homeowner

bh_homeowner

bh_homeowner

Great. Thanks!

So, since it's less than 6 square feet, no need to take any extra lead-related precautions, right?

4. Feb 21, 2017 #4

chrisn

chrisn

chrisn

You need to be cautious(somewhat) if it's one square inch

5. Feb 21, 2017 #5

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Snoonyb

Not at all.

What ever makes you comfortable.

I quoted you the method I would use, however I've been stripping, sanding and refinishing many finishes for over 60yrs. and have only occasionally used a dust mask or respirator, and never a hazmat suit.

6. Feb 24, 2017 #6

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Use a putty knife to scrape back to where the adhesion is good. Expect the problem spot to expand a bit. You don't want to create dust, but the paint chips are relatively safe. Wear a simple dust mask if you want to, and vacuum thoroughly when you're finished scraping.

kok328 and Mastercarpenty like this.
  7. Feb 24, 2017 #7

chrisn

chrisn

chrisn

Is this not the reason for all the lead paint hype, ie, eating paint chips?
    Do not let your children chew on trim and or eat paint chips, problem solved.

nealtw likes this.
  8. Feb 24, 2017 #8

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ok, I admit that I assumed there were no children involved. :hide:And I also assumed that any good parent would know this automatically. My bad.
    I meant that the lead would be contained if there was no dust created - as in sanding - and I did mention to clean up the chips