Strangely pulsing light when off

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylebellamy

Reaction score
So replaced the ballast on my ceiling fan which was easy. Plugged in the light and it turned on but when off, the light blinks.

This is not on a dimmer switch. Just one wall switch and the fan and light are remotely controlled.

Any idea? Must be something I can do besides buying a new fan.

My guess the remote is drawing a tiny current when the power is off. Is the light a CFL or LED? If so then the capacitor charge and blink the light.

Sometimes LED bulbs blink sporadically when they're about to die.

The blinking occurs when the light is off and has the same exact blinking rythm on both. About a second interval between flashes.And both bulbs are new and the ballast is brand new.

I guess the new ballast has something to do with here. Have you tried replacing the new ballast with another one?

Are the bulbs LED or CFL? Assuming it is LED. I would also guess that the ballast might not be compatible or the ballast is defective. I added LED bulbs to my ceiling fan/light and had to remove the dimmer switch from the wall since the bulbs blinked but not when the switch was in the off position. Your ballast could be leaking current as well even though you replaced it with a new one. Many LED's, even some bulbs are self ballast. LED tubes and high bays don't require ballasts. Just speculating here.

Last edited:
Weirdly, both the LED and the CFL are both doing the blinking with the same pattern and timing. The LED is brighter but I assume that is because it doesn't have the delay the CFL does due to technology. Waiting on a replacement one from the place I ordered the last one from to see if that was it.

Have you measured the voltage? My house (not my doing) had an outlet that exceeded 120 volts greatly and ruined a vacumm cleaner, burned it up before I had an electrician come in.

Everything I am reading suggests the wall switch is bad. A bad switch can allow current to sneak through when in the off position. You might replace that to rule that out. Maybe just enough current is getting through to allow the lights to blink but not turn fully on. LEDs I know will blink when the current isnt adequate. I sell LED lighting.

Latest posts

Back