Sump pump, condensation/wet to touch feeling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corbino

Reaction score
I wanted to know if this is expected with a sump pump considering it’s less than 1 year old. There is some condensation on the floor it appears like and is faintly wet to touch , as the attached pic can be deceiving… (I’m in the Chicagoland area so right now we’re getting snow and then a melting cycle). Is this normal or should this be alarming to replace it? The home was built and finally completed in Dec 2021.

Attachments

• 3BFA8001-593C-47EB-AF99-8A4AD21047C6.jpeg
    3BFA8001-593C-47EB-AF99-8A4AD21047C6.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 11
Buy a hygrometer and see what the humidity is in your house.

It is unlikely there is any problem with your sump pump, but if you want to test it, take off the cover and fill the pit with water.

Your basement likely has high humidity. Your house was only completed 2 months ago and there is a lot of moisture in building materials that dries over time. Is your basement conditioned at all, that is do you have HVAC in it? If not, you may want to consider a dehumidifier in your basement to remove excess humidity. Water will condense on cold surfaces.

Since your house is new, I would assume the underground parts of your walls were water proofed and a vapor barrier (plastic sheeting) was installed under the concrete. To test for water vapor coming through the floor and walls tape a piece of aluminum foil to the walls in a couple places at different heights do the same on the floor. Seal all four edges. If after a few days you have condensation between the foil and the wall/floor you have water vapor coming in from the outside. If it is condensed on the room side you have high humidity. If the water condensation is limited to the immediate area around the sump it is likely the water in the sump evaporating and condensing on cold surfaces.

is the sump pump just for ground water, or does it serve plumbing fixtures?
the reason i am asking is that the vent is not connected, as is should be if the pump is for plumbing.

Snow melt is flowing in through the foundation drain tile, it is very cold.
And if your basement is cold, that compounds the issue.
Condensation is harmless.
However, if that sump pit lid is metal, it will eventually rust through.
Might take 15 or 20 years to give out.

Snow melt is flowing in through the foundation drain tile, it is very cold.
And if your basement is cold, that compounds the issue.
Condensation is harmless.
However, if that sump pit lid is metal, it will eventually rust through.
Might take 15 or 20 years to give out.
The lid looks like ABS plastic to me. That would be typical with what I've seen at home centers and what I had in my townhouse that had a sump pump.

Back