Termites

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragart

Reaction score
Does this look like termites? It looks to me like something chewed this, but I don't see any signs like tunnels or holes in the wood.

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 34
Anytime I see an older home built like that without a pressure treated bottom plate, no termite shield, open voids in the block at least 90% of the time there going to have termites at some point.
The tunnels will be in those voids in the block to reach the wood, once there in the wood there is no more need for mud tunnels.

Thanks, so you suspect this is termites? It seemed strange that the 2X4 below would be ok but the one on top would sustain the damage. Also the larger shavings look like maybe something split the wood there. I do see a nail sticking out of the joist that could have done some damage if it had been hit along the board. I'm having a pest control company come out in a couple days, so I guess I will find out for sure then. Thanks.

Keep in mind all we have is a picture to look at, I do not have a screwdriver long enough to reach your house and do some poking around :)
What's the outside look like in that area?
Really close to grade?
Those big chips on the left side look like what's left behind when drilling for the foundation bolts, but I'm not seeing a bolt in that bay.

Subterranean termites, because they consume cellulose, must return to earths moisture each 24hrs.

The outside is under my deck so it's difficult to access. Looking at it, I would estimate that the 2X4s in question are probably 1-2 feet above grade. Thanks again.

That's what I was going to say but you beat me to it by about 9 hours looks like dry rot to me also .

Yup, dry rot. Unless you see termite grooves in the wood it is most likely dry rot.

Under a deck area is a red flag!
Why do they call call it dry rot, when it's always caused from moisture?
Need that outside picture in that area.
Anytime I see an attached ledger to the side of a house instead of a freestanding deck I see dollar signs.
More often than not it was built wrong causing damage like your seeing to the home..

Latest posts

Back