Testing Concrete

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St. Paul

Reaction score
I have been considering a four-post lift for a while now and the unit that I like is the Direct-Lift Pro Park 9 Plus. However, the specs state that the lift requires a minimum of 4” of concrete with 3000 psi. So how do I go about determining the strength of my concrete. Do I have to bore out a cylinder of concrete and take it to be analyzed?

Get it from the concrete plant on a truck, they have it already for 3000.

GENERALLY, 3000 psi is the lowest grade that concrete plants will send out.

BUT, Technically if the person who poured the concrete added even 'one drop' of water the readi-mix plant takes ZERO responsibility for the strength of the concrete. SO even if you had the floor tested it will probably NOT spec out at 3000 PSI IF it was poured as such.

I think what the specs are referring to the 'design mix' or basically what strength of concrete was 'ordered'

As to the thickness take a 1/2" or larger masonry bit drill down until you go thru the floor. Take a piece of wire with a less than 1/2" 90 degree bend (small "L" shape) push it down the hole until you can 'hook' it under the concrete. Mark the spot on the wire at the top of the floor with your hand and measure from the 'hook' on the wire to where you marked.

Remember if you PUSH hard on the drill bit it may break away when you are just about through so when you are getting near the bottom DONT PUSH HARD. :cool:

Latest posts

Back