The Glass Door Won't Slide

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironhat

Reaction score
We have an 8' sliding glass door that is very stiff in the 40*-50*F range of temps. I've had 3 door companies look at it and other than spray lube on the track, say that nothing could be done. To me, it looks as though the track is bowed outward in the middle and the ends are butted up tight against the house on both ends. If I weren't so disabled I would do this myself so, I'm asking the opinion of this community. 1.) Make a kerf wide cut on each end of the base track. (i just might want to wait for the threshold to be removed to make this easier 2.) Remove the threshold, place it on edge and strike it with a sledge on the apex of the convexity. 3.) Fine tune the bow and then caulk to final set. Does that sound reasonable? OK, Lemme have it. I'm so sick of this door that I'm ready to do this on my own and have my 11 year old g.son run to the shop for tools !! EDIT: From 2.) to end I had to straighten out some syntax, etc.

Last edited:
I'd go with option #1.
Assuming the rollers have been changed/checked.
Put a straight edge on it and see what's going on.

Back