TOOL RECOMMENDATION

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what brand is the waxless? another thread on hear said the Toto's are the best toilet. I have to replace all three in this house and was wondering
Fluidmaster "Better Than Wax". I'm researching Toto as well, but want to wait a year at least to see if the Fluidmasters worked.

A B&D saw from 45 years ago is not the same as a B&D saw today.
B&D is hit and miss for me. Their small tools like my Jig Saw and Orbital Sander work fine, but their Sawhorses and their Weeder don't.

so I've done this a couple of times and a couple of different ways. If the floor isn't completely rotten under the stud, then I just cut with a circular saw and cut out a square. The great thing about this is it gives you access to a lip that you can screw a 2x4 to, to support the line between new and old. You need to join it at the joist as well, but if you don't attach the joining subfloors it can cause a "hump" in your floor. I've also used a combo of circular saw for long cuts and then came back with the Oscillating tool AND reciprocating saw for shorter controlled cuts. Especially if I'm not 100% sure what's underneath.

Remember your probably not going to be removing the subfloor directly under the studs anyway so you only need to get 100% flush to the wall If it's really really rotten, and then you might want to think about how rotten is is under the stud anyway.

Hope that helps.

Also just for a giggle. After I had done my second or third one of these (I have a couple of rentals that are over 100 years old) I was considering getting one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Straight-SFS-85-Cuz-D-Industries-Multi-Purpose/dp/B01I5YSJZA
But I ultimately decided that this is kind of a specialty tool for remodelers, and while I do a decent amount of remodeling it's not my every day work so that saw would probably come in handy once every couple of years.

Last edited:
MrMiz, I am wondering what you mean by "subfloor directly under the studs", as every house I have seen is subfloor on top of joists and that's it.

Attachments

• Nailers in.JPG
    Nailers in.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 7
We used the Fluidmaster Better Than Wax on our toilet & no leaks thus far. My friend used one in his bathroom as well. He had some issues bc he forgot to remove the cone from the previous wax seal but it wasn't the fault of the waxless seal. All of my toilets are going to get the waxless seals because the wax is incredibly messy.

Spicoli, the floor looks great!

Latest posts

Back