Under Basement Stair Storage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Jeff: We have a small beach house in Massachusetts where every square foot of storage matters. Remodeling was like remodeling a boat, with storage built into every available space. This included the space under the stairs. There is a landing near the bottom - so not as much room as you have under your stairs, but this solution might work for you as well - depending on the floorplan.
  • We created a hallway past the end of the stairs, as shown in the photo below:

1685542439401.png

• We added a standard 'six panel' door, cut down, at the end, which opens into the hallway:

1685542503259.png

• This created a storage area - plus room for drawers:

1685542544124.png

• The drawers can be long because they are at the bottom of the triangle created by the stairs. We built custom drawer cases with furniture grade plywood - and strong 'full extension' ball bearing slides rated for 200 pounds. Pulled out, they extend into the hallway:

1685542611529.png
This created significant storage, easily accessed, plus good organization.

I hope this is helpful.

Mark

Dear Jeff: We have a small beach house in Massachusetts where every square foot of storage matters. Remodeling was like remodeling a boat, with storage built into every available space. This included the space under the stairs. There is a landing near the bottom - so not as much room as you have under your stairs, but this solution might work for you as well - depending on the floorplan.
  • We created a hallway past the end of the stairs, as shown in the photo below:

View attachment 30917

• We added a standard 'six panel' door, cut down, at the end, which opens into the hallway:

View attachment 30918

• This created a storage area - plus room for drawers:

View attachment 30919

• The drawers can be long because they are at the bottom of the triangle created by the stairs. We built custom drawer cases with furniture grade plywood - and strong 'full extension' ball bearing slides rated for 200 pounds. Pulled out, they extend into the hallway:

View attachment 30920
This created significant storage, easily accessed, plus good organization.

I hope this is helpful.

Mark
Thank you. I have larger, bulky boxes and items that I won't need access to more than once a year and doesn't need to be as elaborate.
You really have a nice setup.

Back