Unusual Noise During Spin Cycle: Help Needed!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobes

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’ve got a problem with my washing machine. It’s making a loud, clunky noise during the spin cycle. The noise seems to be getting worse, and I’m worried something might be seriously wrong.

I’ve checked to make sure it’s level and that nothing is obstructing the drum. Has anyone experienced this before? What could be causing it, and is it something I can fix myself, or do I need to call a professional?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone,

I’ve got a problem with my washing machine. It’s making a loud, clunky noise during the spin cycle. The noise seems to be getting worse, and I’m worried something might be seriously wrong.

I’ve checked to make sure it’s level and that nothing is obstructing the drum. Has anyone experienced this before? What could be causing it, and is it something I can fix myself, or do I need to call a professional for washing machine repair near pune?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance for any help

Does reducing the speed on the spin cycle eliminate the noise? I have a Samsung front loader and when I overload it with heavy items, such as towels, it sounds like it is about to explode, so I reduce the speed and all is fine.

Is it by chance a top load, DC drive without an agitator? Our Maytag (junk) Bravos started making the noise. It turned out to be that the part that rises up to meet the basket was gunked up and didn't rise all the way. I took the tub out for access. Vinegar cleaned the junk.

Some resources are:
Appliance.net, appliance411.com, appliancereapirquestions.com and my favorite- appliancejunk.com

Paul

Thanks for posting your experience, Fawana!
I'll bet it will come in handy for many people. (Probably me...)
Paul

Shortly after purchasing our new top loader, it started making a strange noise during the spin cycle. I found I could duplicate the noise by just grabbing the top of the drum and 'snatching it' side to side. Removing the front panel and shaking the drum revealed that one of the 'suspension' springs was loose enough to allow it to hit the side panel during spin if the load was slightly out of balance. Was a simple matter to 'adjust it' so that did not happen any more.
Steve

Maybe Your Brick Is Broke!

I didn't think of this earlier, but a Whirlpool washing machine that we had started clunking terribly during spin. It turned out that in the back of the machine there was a brick suspended from a small wire rope cable that looped up, then over a rod and went back down to a large extension spring.

The cable rusted & broke. A new length of hardware store wire rope fixed the clunking.

(I wonder how much the appliance parts dealer charges for a brick. )
Paul

Back