Very Special Window

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheapoYromantico

Reaction score
We are renting a 10 year old house that backs up to a freeway. It has no- name dual pane vinyl windows. I'm offering to the owner to pay to replace the 2nd story master bedroom window, as the road has a steep grade here and the weekend morning motorcycles make quite a racket. 36" x 48" single slider. No one will ever see it, so matching the style isn't an issue. Rent is $2600, so I figure a thousand bucks for a year of better weekends is worth it. What might be my best option?

I would buy a thick piece of foam or better yet some sonex acoustic panels or knock off brand off amazon and stick them up and then add a heavy curtain to hide them. Sounds like the view is not that great anyway.

Given your mild climate, at least in most of the state, single glazing is usually enough.

I got a quote for $800 for a single-glazed glass interior insert (32x48) but I'll ask around locally as I think plexiglass would be a lot easier to manage. Thanks, people!

I got a quote for $800 for a single-glazed glass interior insert (32x48) but I'll ask around locally as I think plexiglass would be a lot easier to manage. Thanks, people!
Plexiglass wouldn't require a frame, so it could be a relatively easy DIY. I wonder if one of those heat to shrink plastic covers would be worth a try? For $12 it might be worth a try before spending $800. The air between the different window layers is what is deadening the sound.

Window Insulation Kit

Using heavy curtains over the window will also help a bit. We use blackout curtains in the master bedroom, pushed tight against the wall plus a sheet over the top to prevent light leakage (my wife is a very light sleeper) and, somewhat surprisingly, it helps with the noise from a freeway nearby.

Back