Wall and floor crumbling to pieces

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm my backroom, i took a look at the floorboard on the outside wall because we have always had mice getting in that way and i was seeing insulation and etc...

I vacuumed and these pieces of the wall started falling down into the gap.

By pressing on the wall, i think most of its fine, but a small area, maybe four feet long and a foot high from the floor seems to be crumbling.

I'm concerned about asbestos in these pieces, thus i really don't want to dig into this wall.

That and i have another option.

The outside of the house has the aluminum siding going under the dirt, which is a headache and it should've never been done that way.

What I'm thinking is that i can put the floor trim back and leave well enough alone on the inside

Then go outside and dig down and expose the siding and come up with a solution for sealing it on the outside.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• PXL_20240627_190825870.jpg
    PXL_20240627_190825870.jpg
    2.2 MB
  • PXL_20240627_192314379.jpg
    PXL_20240627_192314379.jpg
    4.3 MB
  • PXL_20240627_192338422.jpg
    PXL_20240627_192338422.jpg
    3.7 MB
So, what would lead you believe there may be asbestos?

Your house is falling down. The chances of it having asbestos seems to be your least concern. Get a test kit, test for lead and asbestos, then start tearing down the bad stuff, looking for termites.

Your house is falling down. The chances of it having asbestos seems to be your least concern. Get a test kit, test for lead and asbestos, then start tearing down the bad stuff, looking for termites.
Are there any particular signs to look for with termites?

This is also a wall that is in a converted one car garage that is attached to the house. There is a vapor barrier between the wall panels and this old kind of plastery wall.

In general, termites resemble larger ants, both with and W/O wings, they follow the sap channels and need to return to earths moisture every 24 hrs.

For the siding outside the house, that is below grade, there is a driveway running parallel to that wall about four feet away that is level with the house. I can't regrade this.

I'm going to dig down to the bottom of the siding and then what is the best way to seal the bottom which will then be under dirt?

Sometimes the sap channels, that were followed, are all interior within the framing member.

You say that you can't regrade the area below grade. Well, were it I, and it isn't, I would excavate down, install some perf-a-pipe, and refill with pea-gavel.

Tunnels made of mud going up the wall usually equals termites.
Check your local universities' agriculture departments to find out if termites even live in your location.
Paul

Hi Chris,

For stopping water from laying against & pushing through the outside wall, a dimple board is what I recommend (amateur here, not a waterproofing pro). American Wick Drain is one manufacturer with a web site for your research.

A pitched trench at the bottom with gravel & a fabric top will collect the water and drain it away. Instead of landscape fabric, I use bargain table polyester fabric from the fabric store. It outlasts landscape fabric. Bolt Ends usually are 54" wide and about 25 to 50 cents a foot.
(Sadly, however polyester is plastic. So it really is forever.)

If your asbestos concern is the pink stuff, it's fiberglass. Still, don't breathe the fibers.

Paul

If your walls and floors are crumbling, it's likely a sign of underlying issues. One common problem is moisture intrusion, which can weaken structural materials. Checking for leaks or sources of water damage is a good first step. Another factor could be poor installation or inadequate materials, which can lead to these issues over time.

If your walls and floors are crumbling, it's likely a sign of underlying issues. One common problem is moisture intrusion, which can weaken structural materials. Checking for leaks or sources of water damage is a good first step. Another factor could be poor installation or inadequate materials, which can lead to these issues over time.
The siding was definitely an issue, as it was under dirt for about twenty years.
I'm still exploring though

For the wall tyveked and now trying to find someone to side it

Back