Wall and framing question for a basement water remediation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theeaterofshades

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am having a mitigation done. as part of it they ask that I remove the bottom 2 feet of studs and sill plate to give them access to the concrete floor and wall (all exterior walls) to be able to break it up. Using a recip saw I did so on my test wall (where there was no electric/pipes/and central vac) when I did this part (between 2 crawl spaces) the top plate and studs came down as well. The top plate was just nailed into the joists. Any recommendations to prevent the collapse or the easiest way to remove the studs/wall without cutting the studs off.

Another issue that has been frustrating is the sill is nailed tightly into the concrete so it has been tough to pry up.

Thanks,

Matt

With a piece of 6 mil poly attach a block to the concrete wall above where you want to cut it and nail the stud to the block
One block ever 4 or 5 ft should be enough to hold the wall up.
You can pin the block to the wall, drill a 3/16 hole thru the block into the wall, add a piece of nylon trimmer string and drive a 3" nail.
Just cut the sill beside the nails but measure the length first so you can replace it or leave it there and it will come loose when they break up the concrete. Or drive a crow bar under the plate and just pull it off the nail.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back