Wall stud replacement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksat17

Reaction score
Hi, folks. Just signed up on the site and was hoping someone could help with a problem I have.

I'm working on a small barn and found a the entire bottom plate and a number of wall studs inside that are in bad shape/rotten and need replacing. The structure above the studs, like the top plate, trusses and roof sheathing, is perfectly fine.

I put in a temporary wall all the way around on the inside to support the trusses and have begun to remove the rotten bottom plate and associated studs in one section. I've got some replacement pieces cut, but I'm a little unsure on how I'm going to connect everything together. I thought about perhaps just toenailing the studs to the bottom and top plates but am not sure if that's the way to go. I've also considered just assembling a new wall section on the ground, standing it up, knocking it into place, then driving nails from under the new top plate so it connects to the barn's exiting top plate, but am not sure if that's ideal either.

I'm used to building sheds and small barns from the ground up, but this one has me scratching my head a little.

Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back