was COLD last night

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are usually fine it just effects the tree itself. When mine freezes those branches will loose all their leaves, sometimes they grow next year sometimes they don't. I have a blood orange tree that is loaded right now, I am thinking I will pick a bunch of them and juice em.

I have an orange tree which is loaded with navel oranges right now. What happens now that we were hit with a few freezing nights? Are they still good to pick?

Yea--you can check to see if they got any freeze. You really need to check early in the morning of the freeze. Just cut the top out of one and see if there is a light coating of frost. That time passed, cut the top 3rd off the orange and look to see it it is starting to dry out.

If you think that any have been hit with frost, pick them NOW and juice em. The won't be worth eating in a week or so.

In 2009 I lost 7 navel's, one lemon and a beautiful grapefruit. Coldest it's ever been in this part of Florida. It went down to 21 and never got above freezing for 3 DAYS!!! I, normally, just throw water on everything and keep the water running till everything thaws. This time, the water sprayer froze up!

The layer of ice actually saves the fruit, this time, it was just too much:( I LOVE citrus. Broke my heart to cut them trees down and pull the stumps. Hurt my wallet when I replaced the following spring too:eek:

View attachment 1.jpg

View attachment 2.jpg

View attachment 3.jpg

View attachment 4.jpg

That sucks!, several of my flowers and plants leaves have turned brown and are falling off since it froze last week. I hope the citris made it through, it didn't freeze for very long and those plants still look fine.

I lived in Florida in the mid 80's and we had two years in a row of hard freezes. I remember the farmers bulldozing the orange groves in between Ocala and Orlando because they got hurt so bad..

Yea--Most of the citrus groves pulled up stakes in Central Fl and moved south after that. We still have a few in our area, Ocala. but it seems that every year we get more and more nights in the 30's. Still, I wouldn't want to live anyplace else.

View attachment HORSE IN SUNSET.jpg

Sure looks like a beautiful place to live.

gimme back my summers !!!!!!!!!!!
was 20 this am, the pipes froze, no water.
but on good note, no broke pipes!
took over 5 hrs to thaw out,
pressure pump was working ( gauge had pressure) but somewhere between where pipe goes underground, and water heater , it was frozen.
all exposed pipes are wrapped with insulation, foam and fiberglass.
tonight I'll leave water on slowly.
will that be enough?
1600 gal tank is above ground, so not must I can do there.

45-45 during the day, but had a breeze all day , so wind chill
was maybe 35?
its 36 right now ( 6 pm) and 8 mph wind, went out and shut off out side
water lines, and found one split and a mist spraying out.
the drops on the fence were frozen!

anyone have any suggestions on how much water I should let run tonight?
hot or cold? both?

I heard just a slight trickle out of each should do the job, but this is only what I heard and I am only a flatlander.

left hot water trickle in far Bathroom,
and cold water trickle in laundry room,
was 21 when I got up, about 6:30.
but everything was working.

please!!!!!!!!!! gimme the heat!!!!!!!!!!

Just pour some antifreeze in your well, you will be fine.:D

Winter just got here and I can't wait til summer.

left hot water trickle in far Bathroom,
and cold water trickle in laundry room,
was 21 when I got up, about 6:30.
but everything was working.

please!!!!!!!!!! gimme the heat!!!!!!!!!!

When weather calls for below 32, I just fill the tub half way with water (to flush toilets). I keep 2 water tanks covered and where the manifold is above ground, at the well pump, I keep it wrapped and keep a pipe heater on it that senses the temp and comes on when needed.

I may only need these precautions 2 or 3 times during the winter, but if I don't do it, we'll get another freeze like in 09 and I won't have water for a few days. Better safe than sorry.

Was beautiful for 3 days, temps in the high 70's and light breeze.:D Today, wake up to misting rain and temps in 50's:( Not a Florida at all!:cool:

22* this morning, guess this winter thing is for real...and here to stay a while.

Latest posts

Back