Was Structural Sheathing Used On My House?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcyone

Reaction score
I have a house in Pinal County, Arizona that was built in 2003. It has a stucco finish.

When I moved in several years ago, the cable guy had to run a new coax line into my house for my internet. At the time, he made some offhanded comment that "The walls of these houses are all foam" and just punched a hole through the wall, into the garage near the bottom of the house, for the new line.

Could this house have been built with EPS or XPS Polystyrene insulating sheathing attached to the wood frame with no structural sheathing like OSB or Plywood? Another possibility could be SIPs (Structurally Insulated Panels), but I wouldn't think a hole could just be punched through those with a hand tool.

I've tried to find blueprints and search the county website for construction documents, but have run up short. I've contemplated removing a piece of drywall on the inside of an exterior wall to see what's behind it.

I'm not sure if there were lax building codes in the region during that time. I feel like if this wasn't disclosed by the seller or found by the home inspector I hired before purchase, I should have some recourse. It's hard for me to believe that houses in the SW are constructed with exterior foam walls but nothing surprises me anymore.

Any information is highly appreciated as I'd like to get to the bottom of this mystery.

Around here in the 70/80s there were a lot of homes built around here where they used OSB on the corners and foam sheets on the rest. The reason I remember is my dad never stopped talking about it. He said if you took a good run at the wall and missed the stud you could go straight thru it.

It was used as an insulation booster while municipalities were adjusting to climate zones, being revisited.

Latest posts

Back