Waterproofing Stucco with elastomer paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimme

Reaction score
I have a stucco house built in 1952, I live in the SF Bay area about 3 miles from the coast. The summers are usually cool and foggy. I recently discovered damage from a very old leak in the roof from way before I owned the house. Some framing needed to be replaced and a 6 foot section of the stucco wall needed to be replaced. I had a stucco contractor out to replace the stucco. He also found a little leak in the chimney area and repaired that also, after the first rain the chimney area developed a second leak. The contractor came back and fixed that leak. Talking with the contractor he mentioned that after years the building paper breaks down, he showed my how it was brittle and would just crack when you touch it. He was not suggesting to re stucco the house just pointing out a fact. So it sounds like I could be developing other leaks in the future. The original stucco is painted with Kelly Moore AcryShield 100% Acrylic Exterior Flat Paint. I did some reading on water proofing stucco and it seams like there are all sorts of pros and cons about using elastomer paints on stucco.The biggest con being it will not allow the wall to dry out if water get behind the stucco. My home sits on a slab and the stucco wall is flush to the slab, so there is no weep system. So what are my options. I would like to do something to make the stucco waterproof because I just do not trust the building paper to keep the house dry.
Thanks

I have a stucco house built in 1952, I live in the SF Bay area about 3 miles from the coast. The summers are usually cool and foggy. I recently discovered damage from a very old leak in the roof from way before I owned the house. Some framing needed to be replaced and a 6 foot section of the stucco wall needed to be replaced. I had a stucco contractor out to replace the stucco. He also found a little leak in the chimney area and repaired that also, after the first rain the chimney area developed a second leak. The contractor came back and fixed that leak. Talking with the contractor he mentioned that after years the building paper breaks down, he showed my how it was brittle and would just crack when you touch it. He was not suggesting to re stucco the house just pointing out a fact. So it sounds like I could be developing other leaks in the future. The original stucco is painted with Kelly Moore AcryShield 100% Acrylic Exterior Flat Paint. I did some reading on water proofing stucco and it seams like there are all sorts of pros and cons about using elastomer paints on stucco.The biggest con being it will not allow the wall to dry out if water get behind the stucco. My home sits on a slab and the stucco wall is flush to the slab, so there is no weep system. So what are my options. I would like to do something to make the stucco waterproof because I just do not trust the building paper to keep the house dry.
Thanks

Since the house was already painted the stuccos ability to shed water has already been compromised, and replaced by the paint.

Did he also tell you that unless fractured, the chance of the 8lb. asphalt impregnated building papers chance of deteriorating is minuscule?

Once you paint, the paint becomes the water shed, however it does not preclude your responsibility to conduct the regular maintenance practices of crack repair and touch up.

Back