What can I do with a bunch of cedar planks?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
I might get access to a deck a neighbor is tearing down. 1x6 and 1x12 untreated cedar planks. He's offered to let me pick through the wood; he says a lot of it's rotten but there are plenty of good planks too. I just need an idea of what to do with it...

Cedar is easy to work with. I would think shelving, bookshelf, desk, barn door, outdoor furniture, trellis, cabinets, kitchen island, nightstands, end tables, picture frames, work bench, router table, saw horses, small deck off utility room, dog house, gazebo, pergola, tree house or playhouse for kids.

Last edited:
If you have enough, I'd butt them end to end and line a jacket closet. Nothing more appealing than someone who goes the extra mile like this in a closet. It also detracts moths naturally.

You could always make some bird feeders or bird houses, or even some bat houses...
Oh, right! I was going to build a barred owl house, and for that they recommend cedar...but I wasn't going to do it until I could figure out a way to keep it from becoming a squirrel house. And I still haven't figured it out.

Oh, right! I was going to build a barred owl house, and for that they recommend cedar...but I wasn't going to do it until I could figure out a way to keep it from becoming a squirrel house. And I still haven't figured it out.
Hey Buddy, check out YouTube or Pinterest... Some GREAT idea's there...

Hey Buddy, if you are interested... here is is...

How to make an owl box

Now this picture is not the same as the one built on the page...

View attachment 30743

Hope that helps you out, Buddy...

Cheers~
Thanks...

The picture shows a box for a barn owl. Barn owls roost horizontally, which is why that box is just tall enough for the owl and then extends sideways past the edge of the frame. Your link is for a screech owl box, which is very small to accommodate the tiny screech owl.

As I said earlier, I want to build a box for a barred owl, because they already live in my neighborhood (I've heard their calls; sounds slightly like a rooster with a sore throat). These are fairly large owls and they roost vertically, so you have to build a box about two and a half to three feet tall but with a ~18" square profile on the top and bottom, and then mount it up in a tree. As you can imagine that makes it very tempting to squirrels, and if squirrels move in first then the owl will not even try. (If an owl moves in first and then squirrels attempt to take over, the owl will fight them off.)

So I need to figure out a way to design the box so it's impervious to squirrels. I just haven't spent the time researching it yet. And it might be too late for those cedar planks anyway, I think I saw my neighbor getting rid of the last of them yesterday.

Last edited:
I was wrong! He's still got several tall stacks of 1x6s...but they're all rotted out. I went over there and took a look through them and decided anything salvageable wasn't worth the effort.

Latest posts

Back