What did I do wrong?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdeal1

Reaction score
Bought the same paint I had to fix three drywall anchor holes but why does it stand out so much like it’s not even the right color when it was the exact paint code?

Attachments

• 58C0DAF2-F46E-4132-BFAC-E24AEF7A1042.jpeg
    58C0DAF2-F46E-4132-BFAC-E24AEF7A1042.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Could be several things. The person mixing the paint could have eroded when setting up the machine (unlikely). The base paint used could have been a different brand or a different sheen. The old paint could have faded over time. Could be what you used to patch the dings is reacting with the paint different than the surrounding paint and making it stand out.

I have even saved leftover paint for touch up work and found it not to be a perfect match after a few years.

A few thing:

-I can still clearly see the patch. Probably needs more careful sanding. A lot of times it's hard to see how good a sanding job you did until you give the area a coat of paint or primer.
-Your newly sanded patch area will now have a different texture than the rest of the ceiling. Your patch area will be very smooth and the rest of the ceiling will have a certain amount of roller stipple. You can take a small roller and give it a few coats until the texture looks identical. Or what I commonly do for spots that small is dab paint on there with a paper towel until I get the texture same as the rest of the ceiling. Probably will take more than one coat.
-Painting just a small area almost never works. The paint changes color/sheen a little as it ages, and is very hard to make a perfect match. Maybe if its relatively new paint job and you still have the original can of paint. Plan on painting the whole ceiling.

Latest posts

Back