What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We sold the old pontoon today. That’s two boats in two weeks! I’m getting pretty good at this!

I got the new pontoon into the boathouse with the cradle under it but I need to adjust the cables a bit. It was a real pain getting the pontoon in there.

IMG_8060.jpeg

Was going to pull the mower out and get it ready for tomorrow, but no startie, just clickie lots... Of course I waited until the grass is 8 inches to even start the maintenance. I also need to put on the mulcher.

So, the Battery clocked in at 12.5... Probably good, but will trickle charge it tomorrow to get it up to 13 at least. It sat in the mower all winter at -30 probably when it was -45 outside, so I should drag it inside next winter.

The clicking is coming right from the Solenoid, which I'm praying is it since they are dirt cheap (Hence the thing possibly dying right at 2 years old)... Picked up a new Solenoid in case...

Haven't tested the Starter yet, will do that in the morning. If I test it now and there's no voltage, I will be extremely happy but will be thinking it could still be more than the Solenoid, which will make me lose sleep.

If I test it and there is voltage, I will know it's the Starter, which will make me lose sleep because I have no idea if the warranty will make me tow the mower in and have it "professionally" diagnosed and replaced or not, even though it takes about 20 seconds to figure out. If they let me replace it myself, who knows how long it will take to get here.... Might have to hire a lawn service for a one time mow.

Or, I can drink a bunch of Evan Williams and I won't lose any sleep, but wouldn't be able to drive tomorrow and will probably just be saying "I am too wearing pants, you don't know me" over and over...

I saw gas for $2.97/gal today but my favorite station was up to $3.29. I don’t know how there can be such a difference between the stations.
And the fun part is every owner will say they only make a couple of cents a gallon. Read an article a long time ago, probably 10 years ago that said gas stations in relatively high traffic areas like any small city make upwards of $80K a month on all the crap around the register... Just that, no soda or beer or chips, just the 27 year old Ham Sandwiches and candy and stuff like that.

And the fun part is every owner will say they only make a couple of cents a gallon. Read an article a long time ago, probably 10 years ago that said gas stations in relatively high traffic areas like any small city make upwards of $80K a month on all the crap around the register... Just that, no soda or beer or chips, just the 27 year old Ham Sandwiches and candy and stuff like that.
Luckily, I never go inside. I guess, “Pay at the pump” was not good for their profits!

I pulled a muscle and caused a trigger point in my upper back a couple of months ago and now my neck has been bothering me for a few weeks. Nothing like being woken up from having muscle spasms in the back of your head. I have tried several new pillows, rearranged my room, but nothing seems to help.

I KNOW that I need to go to a chiropractor to be adjusted because I FEEL misaligned. However, the thoughts scare me because I have seen problems in patients after adjustments. So I need to quit being a ninny and come up with a game plan, because it's miserable trying to sleep and painful when I first wake up and throughout the day.

I don't know much about riding mowers. We used to take ours to get fixed by some dude with the surname Fatula. Rude jerk. Would not actually fix stuff and then charge as if he did. We stopped going to him after we took in our riding mower, he claimed he fixed it, took our money and we tried to turn it on right there at the shop and it didn't turn on. Told him we wanted it fixed. He said he wanted $. We said we wanted our $ back since it wasn't fixed. He denied having taken our cash 5min before. He also claimed he hadn't had a chance to work on it yet even though he was the one who said he fixed it and told us to come get it. Dude thought that bc he was in a wheelchair he could rip people off. It's probably the only reason he didn't get beat up.

Microwave died today. Can't remember if I mentioned that. I was trying to heat up frozen fried rice to no avail. Finally pan fried it instead. But with no running water I can't clean the pan.

Went to HD to grab some stuff I forgot to get, took pics of inside the well shed to get an idea of where to put the subpanel and how to run the wiring.

Went to Samsclub to pick up a new microwave. Helped an elderly couple that were trying to load a box with a large mop bucket inside into their cart. Two of them were lifting it but I saw their cart kept moving. So I went over and held the cart still for them. They said they wanted to get two and acted surprised when I picked up the 2nd one without any problems and set it in their cart. It was actually lightweight but was bulky. New microwave was heavy AND bulky.
1716775881542.png
It's not as big as our original microwave in this house- a Montgomery Ward 3.0cu ft convection microwave oven. It was ugly as hell but it was great. Had fake wood paneling on it.

Got the microwave home and put dust screen over all of the outside holes to keep roaches out.

As an aside, I'm really enjoying my new haircut. Wish I'd cut it this short before. I never want to let it get long again. Shortest I've had it since I was a toddler and it feels great. Last night I didn't have to worry about my hair catching on anything, didn't snag my skin tags, didn't wrap around my neck, didn't get pulled when I adjusted my pillow. Cats didn't pull on it. Sitting on the couch, the dog didn't step on it on the back of the couch. It doesn't hang down in my way or get caught on things. I don't have to put it up out of the way and have it fall back down bc its thin and doesn't stay up.

Picked up Chinese food to bring home. Broccoli & chicken, mei fun noodles (for my brother), more chicken sticks, etc.

I received the bunk brackets in the mail a couple of days ago. I started putting the lift cradle together and discovered that after removing all the cross members and adding two new wooden bunks that the new cradle floats. It was getting late in the day and I tried parking the pontoon over the cradle but it was really difficult to get the cradle to stay put under the pontoon. The pontoon was pushing the cradle away. Anyway, I finally got the pontoon in.

Today, I moved the pontoon out and experimented with weights on the cradle to see how much it would take to sink it. Just then I remembered that I had saved my old rotors off my Expedition when I changed them a few years ago. I temporarily tied the rotors to the cradle and eureka! It worked.
IMG_8068.jpeg

IMG_8067.jpeg

I forgot to take a picture of the pontoon on the cradle but I’ll get one tomorrow. It worked well. I also put 1 1/2” PVC around the cables.

I have never believed in Evolution, as in we are from Apes... Mental evolution is of course factual, just not physical... Well, that said, I think I'm rapidly devolving and facing the possibility of regressing into a Tadpole, which would mean I'm wrong...

If it weren't enough to bite my lips 42 times this year alone, tonight I jammed a Butter knife into the top of my mouth, causing a nice gash that is just now starting to heal.

Well, how did that happen?, you ask as you fetch you copy of "How to eat for dummies"... Well, you see, I had the Butter knife in my mouth as I just removed some Cream Cheese from it and didn't take the knife out before I swung a cabinet door open, hitting the knife.

Well, how could you POSSIBLY do that?, you ask, as you chuck your copy of "How to eat for dummies" because it's out of date... The answer to that is Tadpoles don't know how to use Butter knives.

I'm in my own version of the movie "Final Destination", only it's not a gruesome death I'm trying to avoid, it's trying not to destroy all my mouth parts!

Time for homemade Ice cream to heal my mouth parts!

Spicoli, OUCH. Sounds like something I would do. I've found the most bizarre ways to injure myself. I have a couple of broken teeth that I need to get fixed eventually.

Ron, I love how handy you are and how you figure out how to fix things. Glad you got the cradle to sink enough. I didn't even know there were cradles for boats. LOL.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to be able to run conduit in the well shed. The metal beams run front to back and I need to run the conduit to the side. Also need to grab some pressure treated 2x4s to mount the sub panel on the inside.

I'm still happy with my haircut and kicking myself for not getting it cut like this sooner.

I'll be doing a curbside pickup order later on today and need to pick up some RXs. need to change hvac filters and bring in more cat food. I can't seem to find the taller cat food cans they used to have years ago. And the kitties have been demanding the canned food.

Spicoli, OUCH. Sounds like something I would do. I've found the most bizarre ways to injure myself. I have a couple of broken teeth that I need to get fixed eventually.
I might as well just start playing Hockey and get Dental insurance so I can just cover all my self inflicted injuries with puck created injuries!

I don't know much about riding mowers. We used to take ours to get fixed by some dude with the surname Fatula. Rude jerk. Would not actually fix stuff and then charge as if he did. We stopped going to him after we took in our riding mower, he claimed he fixed it, took our money and we tried to turn it on right there at the shop and it didn't turn on. Told him we wanted it fixed. He said he wanted $. We said we wanted our $ back since it wasn't fixed. He denied having taken our cash 5min before. He also claimed he hadn't had a chance to work on it yet even though he was the one who said he fixed it and told us to come get it. Dude thought that bc he was in a wheelchair he could rip people off. It's probably the only reason he didn't get beat up.

Microwave died today. Can't remember if I mentioned that. I was trying to heat up frozen fried rice to no avail. Finally pan fried it instead. But with no running water I can't clean the pan.

Went to HD to grab some stuff I forgot to get, took pics of inside the well shed to get an idea of where to put the subpanel and how to run the wiring.

Went to Samsclub to pick up a new microwave. Helped an elderly couple that were trying to load a box with a large mop bucket inside into their cart. Two of them were lifting it but I saw their cart kept moving. So I went over and held the cart still for them. They said they wanted to get two and acted surprised when I picked up the 2nd one without any problems and set it in their cart. It was actually lightweight but was bulky. New microwave was heavy AND bulky.
View attachment 32774
It's not as big as our original microwave in this house- a Montgomery Ward 3.0cu ft convection microwave oven. It was ugly as hell but it was great. Had fake wood paneling on it.

Got the microwave home and put dust screen over all of the outside holes to keep roaches out.

As an aside, I'm really enjoying my new haircut. Wish I'd cut it this short before. I never want to let it get long again. Shortest I've had it since I was a toddler and it feels great. Last night I didn't have to worry about my hair catching on anything, didn't snag my skin tags, didn't wrap around my neck, didn't get pulled when I adjusted my pillow. Cats didn't pull on it. Sitting on the couch, the dog didn't step on it on the back of the couch. It doesn't hang down in my way or get caught on things. I don't have to put it up out of the way and have it fall back down bc its thin and doesn't stay up.

Picked up Chinese food to bring home. Broccoli & chicken, mei fun noodles (for my brother), more chicken sticks, etc.
You mite try this, which I previously offered to Spicoli43, too clean your pans;I spritz I of our cats with olive oil & after crisping some lintels & broccoli, use him as a scrubber to clean the pan and simultaneously coat the pan, with olive oil, for its next use, and it keeps him busy cleaning the bits from his fur.

It's duel purpose.

Back