What is flat texture?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
I just got knockdown texture sprayed on the walls and ceilings of this 1512 sq. ft. house. The texture guys told me that a lot of houses use flat texture. My personal residence has flat texture on most of the walls.

I'm wondering... What exactly is flat texture? Does this mean "no texture?" so it's basically paint on drywall?

0126181333a.jpg

Not sure how you can say your own house has flat texture and then ask "what is flat texture?"

That's kind of like the other day when I heard a guy asking about "vinyl laminate flooring"

I think he was quoting the texture guy that his own house has flat texture.

As to what a flat texture would be, I have no idea. Could be orange peel texture. Regions have different terms for things. Here anything newer will have smooth ceilings. Stuff built in the 70's through early 90's probably has popcorn.

I think he was quoting the texture guy that his own house has flat texture.

As to what a flat texture would be, I have no idea. Could be orange peel texture. Regions have different terms for things. Here anything newer will have smooth ceilings. Stuff built in the 70's through early 90's probably has popcorn.

I think it means just paint on drywall. That's what smooth ceilings are, right?

I suppose he could mean just paint (no texture?) Or as I'm writing this, I'm thinking he could be referring to the gloss of the paint: Gloss, satin, eggshell, or .......flat.

Latest posts

Back