What is the best remedial treatment for my deck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

affan habib

Reaction score
Hi,

My deck is sort of rough. It has some splinters but no visible rutting. Attaching few pictures. Should I somply seal/stain it or I need to sand it prior to that? Should I power wash as well?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20200609_191413.jpg
    20200609_191413.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200609_191406.jpg
    20200609_191406.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200609_191402.jpg
    20200609_191402.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200609_191355.jpg
    20200609_191355.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 9
I would pressure wash it and let it dry good and then stain it with a deck stain and sealer product.

Mine looks like yours and your post reminds me it is time to do mine again.

They make a applicator that is like a mohair pad you attach to a broom handle. then there is a tray that looks a little like a paint tray that lets you dip the stain into the pad and there is a flat place to wipe some off if you get to much. The job goes pretty fast with this method.

There is a product that you mop on and it dries to a finish like Trex (drawing a blank) planking.

Keep in mind most stains come in three different types clear or transparent, semi-transparent and solid or opaque.

I tend to like the look of the semi-transparent but each person had different tastes. There will be samples of each at the paint store or builders center.

There are also new products that are intended for a badly worn and neglected deck that claim to restore the surface. I haven’t used them and hear mixed reviews on how they work. Your deck is in good shape and won’t require that product so don’t let them sell you on it.

I have found you can get good products at both a builders center and also a paint store. The difference is mostly the knowledge of the people you will deal with. Big Box stores are hit or miss and you might walk up and get a kid right out of high school and never painted a thing in his life, or you might get the guy that’s retired from 40 years owning a painting company and is bored sitting around.

I also like the Behr products. :coffee:

Keep in mind most stains come in three different types clear or transparent, semi-transparent and solid or opaque.

I tend to like the look of the semi-transparent but each person had different tastes. There will be samples of each at the paint store or builders center.

There are also new products that are intended for a badly worn and neglected deck that claim to restore the surface. I haven’t used them and hear mixed reviews on how they work. Your deck is in good shape and won’t require that product so don’t let them sell you on it.

I have found you can get good products at both a builders center and also a paint store. The difference is mostly the knowledge of the people you will deal with. Big Box stores are hit or miss and you might walk up and get a kid right out of high school and never painted a thing in his life, or you might get the guy that’s retired from 40 years owning a painting company and is bored sitting around.

I also like the Behr products. :coffee:
Thanks.

I look at the heavy coatings like the Behr Deck-Over as the last gap effort to delay replacing the decking. My sister used it on her deck, it is still standing up after 5 or so years. So it bought her some time on replacing it.

Back