What is this light frost on my new sliding door?!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Hi all, so while checking out stuff around my place to see how the place is holding up with the fridgid cold outside, I noticed my new sliding glass door that replaced a leaking Pella crap door, new door didn't have any condensation anywhere on the glass but the bottom rail of the stationary door panel is very drafty. I noticed most of the draft is coming in through what looks to be a weep hole. When I put my finger to it to feel the draft there's a very small thin layer of frost around that hole (see pics). It's the only spot that has this moisture right at that hole.

Now I was wondering it sure looks like a weep hole but why would there be a weep on the inside of the door? It has weeps on the outside but the inside seems weird so I'm not sure. Should I put tape over it or something? Like I said the glass never gets condensation and I'm thinking the only reason there was a little frost around that hole was because there's a draft coming up through it and it's mixing right there with the inside warm air. Not too moist in my house anyway the hygrometer reads no more than 28-31%RH on average.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated, thx

Attachments

• IMG_3155.PNG
    IMG_3155.PNG
    277.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3156.PNG
    IMG_3156.PNG
    244.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3157.PNG
    IMG_3157.PNG
    225.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3158.PNG
    IMG_3158.PNG
    269.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3159.PNG
    IMG_3159.PNG
    218 KB · Views: 11
I am no expert and hope to hear from those that might be as we are looking to remodel and add sliding doors in the new addition. From what I read, the weep holes (slots) should only be on the exterior of the door base or track. Condensation build up or just plain rain will drain out the weep holes. I read something online where a home owner is seeing water drain from the inside of the door all over their new floors though the weep holes that are only on the exterior side of the sliding door base. That is strange in itself. They are looking to add more weep holes or make the existing ones larger. Heavy rains cause an overload to the base and water somehow is turning direction or just flooding over the track and leaking into their home. You should call the store where you bought the door and talk to them or go look at one on display and compare if they have that and point out the issue. If needed they need to get with the manufacturer as well or if it were me, I would call the manufacturer right away and talk. Take good pictures. Someone needs to come to your home. Really strange there is a weep hole on the interior side. Is the track on backwards or maybe it is a flaw in the manufacturing process. Very curious here. Keep us posted.

Can you reveal the brand you purchased?

Last edited:
I am no expert and hope to hear from those that might be as we are looking to remodel and add sliding doors in the new addition. From what I read, the weep holes (slots) should only be on the exterior of the door base or track. Condensation build up or just plain rain will drain out the weep holes. I read something online where a home owner is seeing water drain from the inside of the door all over their new floors though the weep holes that are only on the exterior side of the sliding door base. That is strange in itself. They are looking to add more weep holes or make the existing ones larger. Heavy rains cause an overload to the base and water somehow is turning direction or just flooding over the track and leaking into their home. You should call the store where you bought the door and talk to them or go look at one on display and compare if they have that and point out the issue. If needed they need to get with the manufacturer as well or if it were me, I would call the manufacturer right away and talk. Take good pictures. Someone needs to come to your home. Really strange there is a weep hole on the interior side. Is the track on backwards or maybe it is a flaw in the manufacturing process. Very curious here. Keep us posted.

Can you reveal the brand you purchased?
Hey Burgy thanks for the reply. Here's a pic of the manufacturer's label that was on the door it has brand and all other info. It's a real nice door that has weeps along the bottom rail on the outside but not sure about this potential weep on the inside that is drafty and had the light frost around it.
Them other pics were taken last night actually and this morning I found frost still there only this time I found a little condensation drip action on the side edge of the door about 9" up right where that stationery panel butts into the side pocket. No other condensation on the door anywhere else not even on the glass itself so I'm puzzled.
I will definitely keep this thread updated on whatever I can get from the manufacturer and I'm going to call the installer that sold me the door.

Attachments

• IMG_3211.PNG
    IMG_3211.PNG
    240.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back