What kind of fixture is this, and how can I retrofit LEDs?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hominamad

Reaction score
Hey everyone - was hoping someone could help me answer this question. I recently got the idea to replace the recessed lighting in my kitchen with some LED retrofit kits. The problem is when I took out my existing light, I discovered I have some odd type of fixture that does not seem to be compatible with the retrofit kit.

I posted some pics below, but it seems that the trim is sort of hanging snugly in the sheetrock on its own, and the light itself clips into the top of this trim. They are not traditional recessed light housings. The LED kit I got uses torsion springs to attach in, and I have nowhere for these to clip into.

My first question is - is there a name for the type of housings I have? Secondly, is it up to code, and if not, is it dangerous at all? Thirdly, what's my best course of action?

I picked up a 6" housing from HD to see if I can install them, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money - as I have to add another $16 to each light cost. Also, it would require me to rewire everything, and fight with the openings in the sheetrock and whatever else is in my ceiling.

Then I found these things, and for $2 ea. it seemed worth trying, so I just ordered a few. https://www.platt.com/platt-electri...ithonia-Lighting/TSA/product.aspx?zpid=831309

Can anyone shed some light on my situation and recommend a good course of action for me?

Thanks!
H

i-zsCfmk5-X3.jpg

i-SgcQVbL-X3.jpg

i-qFzzHqh-X3.jpg

Latest posts

Back