What should i expect to pay for new HVAC system.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiero2

Reaction score
My system is pretty old, 25 years or so old. I want to replace the outside unit and the one in the ceiling. The ductwork seems solid although need cleaning. One story home 1700sq ft, 14 vents. I was thinking about going with Lowes as I used them last time for complete siding on my house, They hired a good contractor. Thanks in advance. BTW its and electrical, not gas

No idea as to cost . I do my own HVAC .

See which contractor Lowes uses & then ask friends , family , neighbors which HVAC contractor they use .

Get the model #'s from your existing equipment & then do a google search & see how many tons & BTU's it is rated at . And look & see how many kw the heat strip is rated at .

Then do some caparison shopping .

Depending on where you live , consider a heat pump , this time around .

Wyr
God bless

I would be a bit leery using Lowe's. They simply will use an A/C company from your area, who has guaranteed Lowe's a pre-selected price to charge, and often will shortcut the installation to keep a profit margin. Contact your neighbors. Ask them who they used, and if they were happy with the results. Lastly, get 2-3 quotes, and make sure they check your duct work to determine if it contains asbestos, since many do.

My neighbor used a high priced A/C company 4 1/2 years ago and they charged him $12K for a full 5 ton A/C system. He said he went with them because they were the only company to offer a full 5 year warranty on everything. Well, 4 1/2 years later, his A/C system is broken. The company came out yesterday and told him that only his compressor has a 5 year warranty, and the rest of the system only has a 2 year warranty. They said he has a leak in the system, and this is not covered in the warranty. They charged him $300 for more freon, but will need to come out again in the next few weeks to determine where the leak is at, for an additional charge.

Bottom line, read the fine print.

My system is pretty old, 25 years or so old. I want to replace the outside unit and the one in the ceiling. The ductwork seems solid although need cleaning. One story home 1700sq ft, 14 vents. I was thinking about going with Lowes as I used them last time for complete siding on my house, They hired a good contractor. Thanks in advance. BTW its and electrical, not gas

I can help you with the prices of the main units.

4 ton central air conditioning from $ 2,000.00 to $ 3,000.00
4 ton heat pump from $ 2,000.00 to $ 3,500.00
4 ton gas furnace from $ 1,800.00 to $ 3,000.00

Back