What tool should I buy?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfw

Reaction score
I need to make a "toe kick cut", actually a few of them. I'm not going to buy a dedicated toe kick saw though.
(I'm cutting half-inch particle board underlayment away from cabinets that also sit on the underlayment.)

I understand the sensible purchase is an oscillating multitool with a flush cut attachment.
For example, a Dremel MM50.
I probably will find other uses for such a tool once I have one, but I don't do a lot of projects, so I don't need really heavy duty.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions like "don't buy X it's underpowered" or "buy Y, it has this special feature that will really help".

I'm also wondering how you deal with an inside corner when doing this sort of cut. Go as far as possible into the corner from each side, and then go super light with a chisel or something?

Thanks!

I've had a Fein multitool for over 30 years and I love it for what it can do. It can do jobs that no other tool can do, but not quickly. It can cut very precisely and with hardly any kickback, which makes for a very safe tool. Asking it to cut a lot of particle board is asking a lot . Have you checked tool rental companies, even Home Depot, to see if you can rent a toe kick saw. It would be 10 times as fast.
On another note... my MultiMaster (Fein) was in being repaired, once in 30 years, and I needed it. I picked up a Dremel for $99 and tried it, it overheated so badly I returned it the same day . Maybe I got a bad one, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. IMHO

Reactions: gfw
I also have a fein and recommend them for sustainability, however when a project like yours 1st came up, I taped a piece of sheet metal to the floor and did a plunge cut with my ROCKWELL sawzall, flipped it over and cut the other way.

Here is a link to a number of less expensive oscillating tools and accessories; Search Results For "Oscillating Tool"

Reactions: gfw
HD rents a Crane Toe kick saw.
Harbor Freight also sells one really inexpensive.
An oscillating saw would take far to long to do the whole cut, but would be fine for the inside corners.

Back