What's the best way to remove mold from wooden beams in the basement?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLaurus

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest the best way to remove mold from a wooden beam in the basement of a house? I tried a commercially available solution, but it only seemed to smear the mold around on the beam. Please see in the photo--on the left side of the beam is where the mold smeared. The spotty area in the center of the photo shows untouched mold. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!Mold on beam in basement.jpg

Have you tested it to see if it is mold? Here is one of many kits you can purchase to test for mold. Mold in structures is usually black not white. Spraying it with a beach solution would kill any mold. Mix 1/3 cup of bleach with a gallon of hot water, add a tablespoon of dish soap in a garden sprayer and spray down the suspect wood. The dish soap acts as a surfactant and helps the bleach stick to the wood a bit longer to do its magic. How damp is your basement? Does it get heat and air conditioning? Do you have a dehumidifier? Assuming you're in Ohio, by the Columbus location I'd think you'd have fairly humid weather in the summer.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mold-Armor-Mold-Test-Kit/1001057512

Can anyone suggest the best way to remove mold from a wooden beam in the basement of a house? I tried a commercially available solution, but it only seemed to smear the mold around on the beam. Please see in the photo--on the left side of the beam is where the mold smeared. The spotty area in the center of the photo shows untouched mold. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!View attachment 26916
Answer : Before you even think about removing mold from a wooden beam, check for hidden damage. A wood that appears structurally sound may have severely rotted or deteriorated areas that are not visible without inspecting it closely. If the beam's support is crucial to the safety of the structure, it will need to be repaired before you remove mold. If the mold is dry, brush or scrape it away with a stiff-bristled scrub brush and disinfect the area afterward.

Latest posts

Back